TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey,

When I was changing out my stabilizer bar bushings I noticed that the nut on the drivers side stabilizer bar link was nearly coming off (at the upper part of the link where it connects to the stabilizer bar). When I went to tighten it, I noticed the stud was turning inside the link. I checked the other side and saw that this was happening there, too. However, on the passenger side I could tighten down the stud by turning the nut whereas the driver side just seems to turn and turn.

Is this a problem and how can I tighten the nut without moving the stud?

EDIT: I just read in the FSM where it says to use a hexagon wrench to hold the stud if this happens. What do they mean by a hexagon wrench? Not an allen wrench, right?

Thanks!
-J

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
jclimb said:
Hey,

When I was changing out my stabilizer bar bushings I noticed that the nut on the drivers side stabilizer bar link was nearly coming off (at the upper part of the link where it connects to the stabilizer bar). When I went to tighten it, I noticed the stud was turning inside the link. I checked the other side and saw that this was happening there, too. However, on the passenger side I could tighten down the stud by turning the nut whereas the driver side just seems to turn and turn.

EDIT: I just read in the FSM where it says to use a hexagon wrench to hold the stud if this happens. What do they mean by a hexagon wrench? Not an allen wrench, right?

Thanks!
-J
Use an allen wrench... find the one that fits and use it...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, a 6mm hex wrench and the 17mm combination are what it took. I was using the socket and didn't think to try sticking an allen key in the end of the bolt.
Thanks.

·
Registered
358 Posts
jclimb said:
Hey,

Thanks!
-J

I've been using the hex wrench on mine, but it still keeps coming loose on the passenger side and the link rattles. I've tightened the hex as tight as I can without using a cheater bar on it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Wgasa84 said:
blue Lock-Tite or replace the nut with a locking one.
Did the blue Lock-Tite already. Interestingly, that's when the hex studs started "floating" on both sides (bottom mounts only). The top studs are OK, and I've been using lock washers on those for awhile.

I'm kinda wondering if the hole in the bottom mount on the passenger side has become slightly elongated, resulting in the mechanical play. Never used to have this problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts