TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I start the engine on my truck when cold, it's fine. It's only when I start it right after I kill the engine that it seems to have a hard time starting. It sounds like the starter is not getting enough power or something...

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
The starter or the truck starting?

How many miles? Only asking because altrenator brushes wear out, but it takes a while. I had that case on my old pickup. Wouldn't start right after it was shut off but give it a hour it would...but the battery was struggling for juice.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Is the starter barely going or is the engine just not wanting to start? big difference, you arent being specific.

From my past experience when I have had a battery low enough to barely turn the motor, if it doesnt start on the first try, it wont.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well for me, the motor just doesn't want to turn over when it's warm. Seems like the starter is cranking normally though. I've got about 4 years or so on my battery, so I guess it's about time to get a new one anyway.
what kind of gas are u putting in your truck, if your going to the cheapest gas station on the block this could be the problem. thats what happened to me me. my truck would star briefly and shut off. really bad carbon deposits with cheap gas.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i think you all mean "starter" brushes, not "alternator". The latter has nothing to do with starting aside from making sure the battery is recharged when the engine IS running.

More to the point, about two months ago i had a similar (i think) problem with the starter intermittently not engaging. i had to pull the starter and replace some copper parts to the tune of about 20 bucks. no problems since.

if the engine turns over slowly, i would look at things that limit the voltage actaully getting to the starter: low battery, bad battery connections, bad starter parts (as per above). if that aint it, i'd hate to think that the engine is just becoming harder to turn (some ugly things come to mind). not likely though.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Not to be hostile, but a lot of people here dont want to pay people to run a test on it when you can learn and fix it yourself.

I would take my truck to a shop for starter issues, fuck that.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Congrats, did you do the new battery too? Or just the plugs and wires?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts