TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here's the situation. yesterday my truck acted like it didn't want to start. it would but i had to turn the key harder for it to. today it wouldn't start. all my interior lights, radio, dash panel would come on. even the exterior lights. and all i heard was click click click click click as i turned the key. I jump started the battery, wait for about 2 minutes, then turn the ignition. It turned on. Later on, it wouldn't start again. my battery is a AC/Delco 80D26L. My truck is a 2001 extra cab v6. Does anyone know what the life is on these batteries or where the starter is on my truck as I don't know. Oh yeah and i have an aftermarket radio too.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Repeated clicking - Low battery
Single click w/ loss of power - Battery terminal
Intermittent single click w/ no power loss - Starter contacts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Ok here's the situation. yesterday my truck acted like it didn't want to start. it would but i had to turn the key harder for it to. today it wouldn't start. all my interior lights, radio, dash panel would come on. even the exterior lights. and all i heard was click click click click click as i turned the key. I jump started the battery, wait for about 2 minutes, then turn the ignition. It turned on. Later on, it wouldn't start again. my battery is a AC/Delco 80D26L. My truck is a 2001 extra cab v6. Does anyone know what the life is on these batteries or where the starter is on my truck as I don't know. Oh yeah and i have an aftermarket radio too.
well its not the starter. its most likley the alternator. first things first. drive to your local auto parts store and get a battery check, it should be free. if the battery is good then take out your alternator and get a new one.
you can also get your alt. checked but you have to take it out anyways.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Yea, it's the battery. Get yourself an Optima or Odyssey. My Delco battery didn't last 2 years in my 98 taco. Prime reason not to buy anything associated with GM.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well I decided to try and crank her again. It was rough but turned on the first time. I'm letting her run for about 30 mins to see if the alt. will charge the battery back up some.

So I guess taking it to toyota on monday to have the battery and/or alternator checked is a bad idea?

UPDATE - after letting it run for about 30 minutes i turned it off then turned it right back on. i turned on then i turned it back off and waited about 5 seconds then turned it. It went back to clicking. Is that still a sign of a low battery?

·
Registered
102 Posts
So I guess taking it to toyota on monday to have the battery and/or alternator checked is a bad idea?[/QUOTE]

they'll charge you for these, drive it to an auto parts store and have ypur battery checked then if its good pull your alternator and have that checked.
check simple things first, ts usally something easy.
good lck man
-jon

·
Registered
60 Posts
well its not the starter. its most likley the alternator. first things first. drive to your local auto parts store and get a battery check, it should be free. if the battery is good then take out your alternator and get a new one.
you can also get your alt. checked but you have to take it out anyways.
If he jump started it and it ran for 30 minutes-the alternator is working. You have a 6+ year old oem battery. Buy a new battery.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I'm leaning towards a new battery. It makes no sense that the alternator would die before the oem battery. Especially when all the interior power runs fine.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Yeah I'm leaning towards a new battery. It makes no sense that the alternator would die before the oem battery. Especially when all the interior power runs fine.
A little trick if your starter is going bad. You will get between 1-6 starts, use a hammer and lightly, read lightly, tap the starter and it will usually kick it over at least once. Good luck with that. If you yank the alternator, have that tested too. They do that for free at the auto parts store. Those fuckers aren't cheap.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just change your battery bro, like they said, Toyota dealership = more cash out of your pocket. Auto parts store = telling if your battery is junk or not, for free.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Al. Anywho, do you guys have any suggestions on what battery models I should be looking at? I want something future proof if I were to install a sound system or something. Please don't mention Optimas because that is out of my price range ($40-$100). And I need something where the terminals are in the same place as the battery I have now.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
go to autozone or an auto parts store. say " hi i have a 2001 toyota tacoma with the v6 and i need a new battery." they will look it up and give you the selections between the cheap, medium, and expensive. i just did this about a month ago and they will likely change the battery for you for free. and your probably gonna spend like $50-$60 on the cheap/medium one.

go do that tomorrow morning

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright guys I went to autozone like some of you said. I had them test my battery, alternator, and starter. Alt. and starter were ok, but the battery was not. I bought the Duralast-Gold 24F-DLG in its place. Thank you for all of your help.

·
Registered
401 Posts
For future reference it prob wouldn't be a bad idea to pick up a cheap voltmeter. They run less than 20 bucks at any auto store. It can tell you if your battery is good and if the alternator is charging. The battery should put out 12.6 volts when the truck is off and around 13.7 volts when the alternator is charging.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
...It doesn't take much power to run your interior lights so those can stay on even if the truck is not starting.
But they do make a good diagnostic tool. If the lights stay on while you're trying to crank, the starter is not drawing current. If they go dim while trying to crank, you're losing voltage.

·
Registered
167 Posts
yeah this same thing happend to me, check the terminals, that was my problem

·
Registered
53 Posts
i JUST had this like two days ago. it was def. the battery, of course mine was original and had 59000 miles on the car. the battery was about 4 years old so it might be the battery. mines an 04 dbl cab. tacoma.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts