TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well about 3 weeks ago i put a new starter in my truck. I noticed it for about a month it was going out. first i thought it was the battery went got a new one, same problem sluggish turning over after running. so it finally goes out. just clicks.. so i buy a new starter. fixes the problem.. or so i think after the first week maybe once a week it will just click and not crank. out of no where, checked terminals, starter wires, everything is tight and today it started doing it about every other time i turned it off when me and Ryan went wheeling. so we tap the starter and it would crank.. any ideas. as of what it could be besides me possibly getting a POS starter.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Sounds like the key switch is going out. All of the current that operates the starter solenoid runs through this switch. Try the ford starter solenoid mod.

1.Use an old style ford solenoid.
2. run battery cable from Batt+ to copper stud on ford Sol.
3. run battery cable from 2nd copper stud to starter main stud.
4. Jumper the starter main stud and the starter solenoid blade connector.
5. Now take the stock starter solenoid wire and run it to the ford solenoid switch stud. I think its labeled j or g.

Now your starting problem should be fixed. Please call me so I can answer the questions you have about this mod.

Neil

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
X2 I just did what neil described and it works like magic!!! :D

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Even cheaper is a basic 30amp relay. I used one and it has been working good for close to a year without a problem. I wire it in like Neil's but only with a cheap 30amp relay, I think the ford one $10 to $15 vs. the $4 of the 30amp.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts