TTORA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WTF!!! This afternoon i turned the key in the ignition, the starter started the engine, and then i started backing up. I noticed that i could still hear the starting spinning, so i turned the ignition off. The starter still ran and continued to turn the engine over. Quickly, i popped the hood and disconnected the battery. I'm speculating that i might have to clean up the terminals on the starter (again) and go from there. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Do asearch for "starter" "starter contacts" "starting problems" all these should wield a wealth of information.
BTW: duck the flamethrowers are on the way!!

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Solenoid contacts in the starter have welded themselves together. Yank the starter and replace the contacts and you'll be cooking with gas again. You can proably clean them up and burnish them and they will last a while longer but it's not worth what new ones cost when considering the effort to R&R the starter.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
could be that or a sticky ign switch, when my ign switch was shot, it made the starter crank longer than supposed to

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
It could be several things, key switch, starter relay, wiring etc. but the most likely is the starter contacts.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
If you can use a brush, sabre-saw, dremel and misc files you can make one (contact). I made one outta brass. Still woring absolutely perfectly 2 years later. Took less than 2 hours.

The contact is on the bottom. Little copper thing.

The new one I made outta brass.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts