TTORA Forum banner

Starter solenoid bad at 70k, now what?

4K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  AK98Taco 
#1 ·
I find it hard to believe, but my starter solenoid is shot at only 70k miles on my 02 DC 4X4. I expected a little more from Toyota. :mad:

Tonight was the 3rd and 4th time it failed to work. First time was 20 miles in the middle of nowhere, and I mean nowhere. Thankfully, it started the 5th or 6th time I tried the key, and it didn't happen again for a month.

Now tonight, I stopped for gas. Wouldn't start until I banged on the starter a couple times. Then, the grocery store, and it gave up the ghost. Tried to jump the starter out, etc, and getting zilch (no solenoid click) with 12v applied to solenoid terminal.

Now, how do I get this friggin' thing out of there? I know there's only 2 bolts holding it on, but I cannot fathom how to fish that thing out of there once it's loose? I've got a 4x4 by the way, so all that crap is in the way too. Almost looks like I either need to take out a motor mount, or I may be able to squeez it out possibly if I remove the exhaust between the discharge manifold and cat.

Advice needed badly!

And, what does a tacoma starter go for nowadays?
:eek:

See less See more
#3 ·
If you have a body lift it squeezes out the bottom with a little twisting and pulling. With out a body lift it has to come out the wheel well.
For about $35 (not incl shipping) you can buy new starter contacts and a plunger to rebuild the solenoid. Try www.trdparts4u.com Barb can help you with the parts.
The instructions for replacing the contacts and plunger are easy, if you decide to go this route private message me your Email and I'll send them to you.

Tim

#7 ·
sagexp said:
I find it hard to believe, but my starter solenoid is shot at only 70k miles on my 02 DC 4X4. I expected a little more from Toyota. :mad:

Tonight was the 3rd and 4th time it failed to work. First time was 20 miles in the middle of nowhere, and I mean nowhere. Thankfully, it started the 5th or 6th time I tried the key, and it didn't happen again for a month.

Now tonight, I stopped for gas. Wouldn't start until I banged on the starter a couple times. Then, the grocery store, and it gave up the ghost. Tried to jump the starter out, etc, and getting zilch (no solenoid click) with 12v applied to solenoid terminal.

Now, how do I get this friggin' thing out of there? I know there's only 2 bolts holding it on, but I cannot fathom how to fish that thing out of there once it's loose? I've got a 4x4 by the way, so all that crap is in the way too. Almost looks like I either need to take out a motor mount, or I may be able to squeez it out possibly if I remove the exhaust between the discharge manifold and cat.

Advice needed badly!

One of my friends had his starter go out at 85,000. It took us a while to figure out how to get it out and get the new one back in. We ended up pulling out the gear on the old one, but the new one didn't want to cooperate. We had to unscrew the dipstick tube, and it took some wiggling to get it in. I think that his starter was $160 at Advanced Auto Parts, and he got back either $60 or $80 for the core. Either way it was a PITA, but we did it in about 35 minutes. Seems long for something with only two bolts, but it can be done. Good luck and much patience.

#8 ·
Okay, as long as it's doable, I can get it done. Last night it almost looked to me like the motor had to be supported and a motor mount taken out!

Hopefully it will come out of the wheel well without too much blood.

I'm going to just replace the starter first, and then I'll buy the solenoid contacts and rebuild this one and then it goes in the bed box permanently. I had no idea this was a fairly common occurrance with these starters. The places I go I cannot afford to be with a truck that won't start. It would cost a fortune to get anyone out to me to help, and I'm often out in the winter with my 11 year old.

Looks like I narrowly escaped about my worst vehicle fear....starter going out on an automtic in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks for the info.

#9 ·
sagexp said:

Advice needed badly!

dont worry about traveling into remote areas. from the experience of most people here, the starter doesnt just spontaneously fail. i drove around with having to click it 5-15 times for about 1/2 year before finally fixing it.

#10 ·
sagexp said:

Advice needed badly!

For now just try losening the wire going tothe starter then tighten it again. I had the same problem and started to take it out but I ran out of time and tightend it back up and walla! It has not given me probs since.

#12 · (Edited)
They seem to be the same starters, but there are two different starters available for either year with the V-6. One is rated for 1.4kW and the other for 1.8kW.

BUT, I recommend starting with the terminals. Replace those and see what happens. That is the most common problem with the Nippondenso starters.

Trust me; I'm going to college to specialize in Toyotas. There are numerous techs in my classes and they all see the terminals go bad.

#13 ·
Should I get one starter over the other? One of the stores said they had the starter, and also a "cold weather" starter. I'm assuming the "cold weather starter is the 1.8kw starter? Same price for both.

I'll order the contacts and see if I can get them here by the weekend. If that works, then I'll just order a spare set of contacts for the truck box.

#14 ·
I'm not saying "buy" the starter, but go with the higher output one if you end up needing to buy it.

First and foremost, replace the terminals. Those are common failures and should fix the problem. If the solenoid still fails to actuate, then look into other solutions.

#15 ·
sagexp said:
Okay, as long as it's doable, I can get it done. Last night it almost looked to me like the motor had to be supported and a motor mount taken out!

Hopefully it will come out of the wheel well without too much blood.

I'm going to just replace the starter first, and then I'll buy the solenoid contacts and rebuild this one and then it goes in the bed box permanently. I had no idea this was a fairly common occurrance with these starters. The places I go I cannot afford to be with a truck that won't start. It would cost a fortune to get anyone out to me to help, and I'm often out in the winter with my 11 year old.

Looks like I narrowly escaped about my worst vehicle fear....starter going out on an automtic in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks for the info.

I just changed my starter contacts with about 70k on the odo. My truck was displaying the same symptoms as yours; the contacts were replaced, problem gone. I was able to do it without removing the starter from the engine bay. Just replace the contacts, and spend the money for a new starter on something you need. I used this write-up to point me in the right direction http://www.yotarepair.com/startercontacts.html

#17 ·
Onebadtacoma said:
I have the same problem. Where can I get the replacement terminals for the starter from?
I got mine from the dealership. Sorry, I don't have the part #'s. I was actually given the wrong part and I realized this after I removed the starter and compaired the new & old parts. Cheers to not having to buy a new starter. :xbeer3:

#18 ·
You know, I haven't been to pick up the new contacts for mine yet, but I will. I bought a new starter, and am keeping the other as a spare in my tool box in the truck for when I go way out. I've been stuck twice in my life (and this last one almost made it a 3rd) in remote locations when a starter failed. One time required a 12 mile walk out to a road with traffic to catch a ride. The other was just major inconvenience with hitching a ride, locating a new starter, loss of an entire days vacation, taxi fees back to the truck, etc. The first time you use a spare starter in such an instance, will have the starter paying for itself, and a lot less hassle.

I've been bitten by the failed starter dog twice now in remote locations, (and damn close to 3 times). There won't be a 3rd.

Why turn 1 hours work changing a starter into a 12 hour plus ordeal over trying to save $150 bucks? The starter and timing belt are two things that can cause a real headache if they go when you're far from anywhere. Most other things that go wrong, you can at least get the vehicle running badly if nothing else with a little know how and a haynes manual. No starter and no timing belt (unless you've got a manual), and you're screwed. Start walking.......

#19 ·
sagexp said:
You know, I haven't been to pick up the new contacts for mine yet, but I will. I bought a new starter, and am keeping the other as a spare in my tool box in the truck for when I go way out. I've been stuck twice in my life (and this last one almost made it a 3rd) in remote locations when a starter failed. One time required a 12 mile walk out to a road with traffic to catch a ride. The other was just major inconvenience with hitching a ride, locating a new starter, loss of an entire days vacation, taxi fees back to the truck, etc. The first time you use a spare starter in such an instance, will have the starter paying for itself, and a lot less hassle.

I've been bitten by the failed starter dog twice now in remote locations, (and damn close to 3 times). There won't be a 3rd.

Why turn 1 hours work changing a starter into a 12 hour plus ordeal over trying to save $150 bucks? The starter and timing belt are two things that can cause a real headache if they go when you're far from anywhere. Most other things that go wrong, you can at least get the vehicle running badly if nothing else with a little know how and a haynes manual. No starter and no timing belt (unless you've got a manual), and you're screwed. Start walking.......
i've had 7 toyota trucks in my life and i've never had a toyota starter just spontaneously fail without any warning. usually it begins to click long before it fails.

i was skeptical too when i first heard that you can change the contacts and be fine. but after trying it once at 75k miles, i am a believer. the starter started up more powerful than ever. it really does seem like rest of the starter is in decent shape and only the contacts needed changing. it makes sense though, you wouldn't buy a new truck just bc your starter broke, so why buy a new starter when only the contacts broke?

i'm sure your bad experiences have shaped the way you feel about them but i just wanted to share my own.

#22 ·
Well, seeing how a new starter costs $200 and up, and a pair of new contacts costs maybe $40 tops, I would always start with the contacts is the solenoid was determined to be the problem. That being said, it's completely illogical to not attempt to repair the starter, understanding that the contacts are known to go bad. It's probably a good idea to have spare contacts AND a spare starter, but only if the spare HAD to be replaced.

If the solenoid actuates but the pinion gear doesn't rotate, only then would I consider a real problem with the starter itself.

This is all coming directly from Toyota technical training itself, and my professors' collective experience in the industry.

Here are some resources:

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/starter/

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Starter.shtml

#23 ·
AK98Taco said:
Replace the terminals on the solenoid.

QUOTE]

Just a little pic the terminals out of my 96 2.7. It was an easy job, hardest part getting the thing out of the truck. I had been dealing with the anoying random clicking for about 6 months now and got tired of it. The parts kits not including the plunger for mine were right at $20.

Attachments

#24 ·
boophoenix said:
Just a little pic the terminals out of my 96 2.7. It was an easy job, hardest part getting the thing out of the truck. I had been dealing with the anoying random clicking for about 6 months now and got tired of it. The parts kits not including the plunger for mine were right at $20.
That's good to hear. I love it that the NipponDenso starters are so easy to service.

#25 ·
AK98Taco said:
That's good to hear. I love it that the NipponDenso starters are so easy to service.

With starter in hand it is a peice of cake. Here is a pic of the contacts still in. One of these days I'll get around to picking up some more hosting and do a write up on it to go with my pics.

Attachments

#26 ·
boophoenix said:
With starter in hand it is a peice of cake. Here is a pic of the contacts still in. One of these days I'll get around to picking up some more hosting and do a write up on it to go with my pics.
A write-up would be good for future reference, as this is the most common problem for starters. I know are some members who could help you with web-design/hosting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.