TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So everything was fine on the truck after eagle rock until I turned it off. Now the starter just spins freely and doesn't try to turn the motor over. Is it out of place or what's the deal with it? Can I adjust it or am I looking at bigger issues?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Does it make kind of a screechy noise like it's grinding the flywheel? Mine used to do that and the only thing I found to fix it permanently is to get a new starter. In the mean time mine would start if I rolled the truck a few feet and let out the clutch to rotate the motor slightly. Then it would usually engage. If that's not your daily driver you might see if you can take it apart and fix it without replacing the starter. I didn't have time for that back then, but I wish I did.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
What flavor truck/engine are we dealing with here? If any starter spins freely, it means it's time for another starter because the solenoid is not actuating the plunger to shove the gear drive onto the flywheel to start the engine. You could try having someone hold the key to IGN/start while you smack the starter with a decent hammer; kinda knock the plunger loose from whatever is gunked up inside the housing. I may have worded this wrong, but it's along those lines...

Hammers... fix anything.
>>Dan

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's been going off and on since I started driving the truck. I'll try smacking it tomorrow with a hammer to see if that's the issue. If it is, time for a new starter. It's prolly what dans talking about. Crossing my fingers...

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Appreciate the offer! Starter is still good, just needed to be put back in place. Guess it got jarred loose on Eagle Rock.

·
20,355 Posts
That happens on the 77 from time to time. For some reason those mounting bolts don't like to stay tight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts