TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starter beggining to act up on the Tundra. Thanks Toyota for putting it under the effin' intake manifold. :banghead:
Anyone every replace this on a 1st Gen Tundra V8? How long does it take?

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
What is it doing? If it's going "click" when you hit the starter, then it's probably just the contacts, which are pretty easy to replace (at least on the 3.4 starter). As soon as I had the starter out, it took me all of 5 minutes to replace the contacts, and it was good as new. I think I paid $20 at the Toyota dealership instead of $150 or whatever for a new (reman) starter. Although I can understand if you just want to replace the whole damn thing while you're in there... Just throwing it out there, if you wanted to save a little money on it.

Did I hear something about you coming up here soon to get some tubes bent? I could give you an extra hand with it when you come up, if you want...?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's starting to crank real slow when the weather gets cold. I'm sure it's the contacts. Don't mind spending the money but getting to the damn thing is going to suck.
I figured you'd help out with bending the tubes. We can use your welder. Mine is still broke.
I have to wait until Ric gets back from the Dominican Republic before I can see what my schedule looks like. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
If your starter is actually still working, but slowly, its probably either the contacts on the battery or starter, or your battery going out. Due to the fact that it is acting up since it has started to get cold, my first guess would be battery. Have it checked at an auto parts store, as cold is a tell tale sign for a battery starting to go out. If/when you replace your battery, take a piece of sand paper to your cables and contacts to ensure a good connection.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Lol just to prove that my education isn't completely worthless in the real world, I'm going to quote my Physics 2 text book here. I just happened to be reading this earlier.

"Real batteries, such as a good car battery, usually have an internal resistance of the order of a few hundredths of an ohm, so the terminal voltage is nearly equal to the EMF (electromotive force) unless the current is very large. One sign of a bad battery is unusually high internal resistance. If you suspect that your car battery is bad, checking the terminal voltage with a voltmeter which draws very little current, is not always sufficient. You need to check the terminal voltage while current is being drawn from the battery, such as while you are trying to start your car. Then the terminal voltage may drop considerably, indicating a high internal resistance and a bad battery."

So yeah, check your ohms, then have your neighbor or somebody start the truck while you check the voltage so that you can rule out the battery. Then of course clean up grounds and things of that nature.

Oh and I can definitely help with the tubes, but I meant that I could help taking your intake manifold and all of that junk off for the starter too.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info Kyle. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe your referring to Peukert's Law.
Battery is new but could be suffering from sulfation. Checked the electrolite to water ratio and the electrolyte percentage is low. Sulfation causes less electricity to flow through the remaining electrolytes. Which in turn causes more sulfation, hence compounding the problem. Cold weather inhibits the chemical reaction.
Oh and the starter has 180,500 miles on it.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The average starter last 6,000 to 7,000 starts. My truck is a 2002. Using a conservative average of about 4 starts per day, thats about 14,600 starts. :eek:
I'm sure it probably won't give out until I'm up in the mountains, at least 100 miles from home. I'm getting a little bit paranoid.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
The average starter last 6,000 to 7,000 starts. My truck is a 2002. Using a conservative average of about 4 starts per day, thats about 14,600 starts. :eek:
I'm sure it probably won't give out until I'm up in the mountains, at least 100 miles from home. I'm getting a little bit paranoid.
I was just being a smart ass

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Betcha a 22R starter I have would fit... :D

+1 for removal help, 2nd in line I guess?

FWIW my uncle had a 92 F250 with the 460 pig engine and its factory starter gave out one cold wintry day about 3 years ago. 16 years on a starter... not bad? The starter on my old 88 AllTrac was factory and still kicked ass, maybe you have a lazy starter?

>>Dan

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A Ferd f-teen thousand lasted that long!
Only got about 130,000 miles out of Lauren's Tacoma starter. Maybe with mine being on top of the motor helps. Stays pretty clean and dry.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
If you want to try and get it rebuilt, call up Speedometer Services at 632 3165; they're downtown off of Kiowa and Wahsatch. Mr. Rusty Buster (no joke) knows a TON about pretty much everything related to alternators/starters/etc. The shop is pretty cool too; lots of "WTF is that" to check out. They rebuilt my last AllTrac's alternator for $70 compared to $145 for a reman'd unit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts