TTORA Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, how hard is it to replace a starter/solenoid in a 3.0. I'm looking at the FSM, and it doesn't mention any special tools. It basically just says to unbolt the thing. But I'm wondering how much stuff I'm gona have to unbolt before I can get to the starter. It'd be nice to save a couple bucks and just do it my self.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Should be easy. Two bolts and a few wires. The only hard thing is getting up in there. You can do it.

Remember to disconect the battery

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool. Seems you can get a repair kit for em too. This is sounding a lot cheaper than what I had originally thought.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
The starter was easy on my '84 with a 2"BL and 5" suspension..I could get out by just leaning over the R side tire. But seriously It should not be too bad. Might consider through some WD or something on it and let it soak since that thing has probably been on for a LONG time...

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
found an article on 4x4wire. Looks pretty simple. They mentioned the BL making it easier too, which I dont have. I'll probably end up needing my hand on backwards for some weirdly placed bolt, but I should be able to get it done. I'm probably gona tear it out tomorrow, and see how the contacts look. Then order new ones, depending on how the thing looks.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
so how did it look? seems like i would go through 2 or 3 of Schuck's "Life Time warranty" starters in a year or so before I ended up with one that lasted a while...frigging rebuilt crap. Anything that went out on my more than twice I ended up carrying one in my '84 (starter, fuel pump, water pump and a couple of other things)

how well did the tires fit? any clearance issues with your low rider springs in the back?:D Just kidding...

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, ran into a little problem. I used to have access to my dad's tools, but it seems that he took them. All I need is a long extension that I should be able to barrow from a friend.

Haven't put the tires on yet. I'm gonna lift the rear a tad, so they should go on without a problem. I'm thinking about stickin some coils in there:D

http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=811919&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1&vc=1

And yes, I'm gona make it so they can't accidentally come out.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Well, ran into a little problem. I used to have access to my dad's tools, but it seems that he took them. All I need is a long extension that I should be able to barrow from a friend.
Eric:
If you don't find an extension this weekend send me a PM or call and I can drop one by at work on monday if you want.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Helped a friend lift his 4runner this weekend. I borrowed a few of his tools so I should be able to get the starter taken out some time this week.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
What a pain. Got the starter replaced and the new tires on. I'm lovin these tires. Didn't think about it till I got em on, but the back spacing is different so they stick out just a tad. They line up with my sliders a little better now. They only just barley rub in the front, but it's nothing I'm gona worry about.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts