TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
[duma]
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lately my truck won't hold onto idle after I start it. Basically it cranks up, RPMs goes up like normal, as the RPMs goes down to where it would stay to idle it just dies. Doesn't matter if the truck is cold or warm. I usually have to hold the gas pedal to keep the engine running for alittle bit until finally it'll hold onto idle. I've checked the MAF sensor, PCV, any loose valcume(sp) lines, a bottle of fuel injector cleaner....and it doesn't happen all the time, maybe once or twice a week. I've even tried getting gas from different vendors(Shell, Chevron, etc.) but that doesn't seem to make a difference either... what could be the problem? :confused: Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
204 Posts
:confused: I've been having the exact symtoms on my 95 2.7L, except its every start. Have you found a fix? I cant find anything! Let me know, I'll work with you and let you know if I find anything also. This has been driving me insane for like 2 months!

·
Registered
441 Posts
try using a new fuel filter.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Wierd. If you've already checked all your sensors, vacume, & filters, trying pulling your ECU fuse for about 5 min and re-install. This dumps the volitile memory and resets it, in case its cycleing the timing incorectly or just have evil trons floating around? Hell, its worth a shot!

·
Registered
951 Posts
sounds stupid, but did you chceck your air filter? Mine (3.4) started doding that after takeover, where I played in the mud:). Changed my air filter, and the problem disappeared. Mine was very obviously dirty, you couldn't even blow air through it...

Boheefus

·
[duma]
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dick Foster said:
You have a dirty throttle body and this post is in the wrong folder.
Which folder should it have been in? I've changed my air filter and fuel filter like others have suggested, so far those two things musta got it right cause it has improved alot, and used some sea foam.

·
[duma]
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
4xbrian said:
:confused: I've been having the exact symtoms on my 95 2.7L, except its every start. Have you found a fix? I cant find anything! Let me know, I'll work with you and let you know if I find anything also. This has been driving me insane for like 2 months!
clean your MAF sensor, change your air filter and spark plugs they need to be changed, and dump some sea foam into it. do a search for sea foam for info on how to apply it. hope it helps you out.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I also have this prob. I have changed the fuel filter, cleaned air filter, changed plugs, wires, cap and rotor, and all vacuum lines. I checked the crank sensor, cleaned the MAF, throttle body, checked timing and vacuum. I cant figure it out. I would say this belongs in the "tech" folder btw

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Performance Engine Exhaust. I'll even hazard a guess that if you did a little search there you might even find the best way to go about cleaning it up. They tend to get gummed up and the butterfly gets sticky from the emissions stuff, primarily the crankcase ventilation.

·
Registered
357 Posts
TomTRD said:
lately my truck won't hold onto idle after I start it. Basically it cranks up, RPMs goes up like normal, as the RPMs goes down to where it would stay to idle it just dies. Doesn't matter if the truck is cold or warm. I usually have to hold the gas pedal to keep the engine running for alittle bit until finally it'll hold onto idle. I've checked the MAF sensor, PCV, any loose valcume(sp) lines, a bottle of fuel injector cleaner....and it doesn't happen all the time, maybe once or twice a week. I've even tried getting gas from different vendors(Shell, Chevron, etc.) but that doesn't seem to make a difference either... what could be the problem? :confused: Thanks in advance.
Are you out of warranty already? If not, make Toyota fix it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Starting problems...

My Tacoma (2002 2.7) was having similar problems, it wouldn't start or idle for a while before starting, when I I took it to Toyota, they told me that it was me not stepping on the clutch all the way down...idiots...but I just told them to check it out, and they said it was something with the clutch, but it hasn't done it again...It didn't make any sense to me, since the truck would be on neutral...but they fixed it...

·
[duma]
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
absolut taco said:
Are you out of warranty already? If not, make Toyota fix it!
Intermitten problems are not the easiest thing to take to the dealer w/o wasting alot of time. Also, considering I now have 119k miles I doubt they'll do ANY warrenty work on my truck :lmao:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Dick Foster said:
You have a dirty throttle body and this post is in the wrong folder.

I second the dirty TB. Mine was so gummed up that sometimes the butterflies would stick. Cousing the engine to cut off. Some days it did some it dident. I noticed that on hot humid days it would stick the most.

Remove the Intake tube and get an old toothbrush or a rag, put a little gas on it and start cleaning. I would also disconect the neg terminal of the bat. Or remove the EFI fuse. That way after its clean the ECU can re-learn your air/fuel mixture. U might even try to lube up the springs on the butterflies. I didnt really think that helped much but the throttle is alot smoother now.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
TomTRD said:

yepper i have the same thing going on..... start'er up she dies unless you give a lil bump on the skiny :eek: i have been wanting the do a major service pertaining to the fuel/performance items ( 68k ) sounds like a bunch of good recomendations all the way around ! i'll let you know how it turns out tom :D

laters,

dougo

1 - 16 of 16 Posts