TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, nice board ya'll have here. Some of ya's may know me from 4x4wire board, but anyway I'm John, a certified aircraft mech that has moon lighted as an auto mech for over 20 years and hope to be of some good tech help over here. At the moment I am in need of a good spark chaser to bump this problem off of. I have a basic sterio system that I have installed in my truck and sounds great...............but this is the kicker; When it's cold and dry outside my ass seems to build up an un-Godly amount of static as I get out of the truck, which can be heard in my speakers. I have trouble shot all of the circuits and grounds and they are all good. I could shorten the ground wire a little, but it has zero resistance at 14 inches long. I do know it is from the foam in the seat; I can actually put my arm close to the seat after getting out and the hairs will stand up on my arm. Has anyone else ran into this problem? I know in all my years of wrenching I haven't.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I ocassionally have this problem, you can use it as a wake up call as you step out of your truck to go to work... or you could fix it.

I bought a can of "Static Guard" and once a month or so, I spray my seat with it. Problem solved.

I do not believe it is related to your stereo or grounding method, but you should be able to hear it when you ground yourself out on the vehicle.

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
John Luttrell said:
Hi guys, nice board ya'll have here. Some of ya's may know me from 4x4wire board, but anyway I'm John, a certified aircraft mech that has moon lighted as an auto mech for over 20 years and hope to be of some good tech help over here. At the moment I am in need of a good spark chaser to bump this problem off of. I have a basic sterio system that I have installed in my truck and sounds great...............but this is the kicker; When it's cold and dry outside my ass seems to build up an un-Godly amount of static as I get out of the truck, which can be heard in my speakers. I have trouble shot all of the circuits and grounds and they are all good. I could shorten the ground wire a little, but it has zero resistance at 14 inches long. I do know it is from the foam in the seat; I can actually put my arm close to the seat after getting out and the hairs will stand up on my arm. Has anyone else ran into this problem? I know in all my years of wrenching I haven't.
Since your a aircraft mechanic like i am just add a static wick or something to the outside of the truck and that should solve that problem oh by the way where did you find your traction system for the rear?

·
Registered
878 Posts
I had a similar experience as well...It went away after taking the the seat out and putting it back in..I concluded that there was a ground point in the body and the mounting bolts where making contact well enough to be transmitting to the stereo ground! I have used rubber(that didn't last long) and hard nylon washers added on the bolts to stop squeaks I was having in the past...but even with out them now the problem has not come back.

I've had static issues with grounding amps to the raised lip for the seat mounts after removing the painted surface for the ground as well on a number of vehicles...but that was effecting only the amps mounted under the seat!

·
Registered
264 Posts
John Luttrell said:
...my ass seems to build up an un-Godly amount of static as I get out of the truck, which can be heard in my speakers. I have trouble shot all of the circuits and grounds and they are all good. I could shorten the ground wire a little, but it has zero resistance at 14 inches long.
Did you check the ground wire from the driver's fender to the battery? It's pretty puny and easily broken off. Replace that with a good ground and see if that helps.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
TRDUSA2002 said:
Since your a aircraft mechanic like i am just add a static wick or something to the outside of the truck and that should solve that problem oh by the way where did you find your traction system for the rear?

While a static wicks work great for aircraft they dont work well for trucks. What does work well for trucks is a length of ground strap attached to a good ground point on the body and frame, with an inch or two allowed to drag on the ground. I had the same problem on my 94 Toyota truck and this solved it. If you wheel alot just find a place to tuck it up out of the way when on the trail.

Tim

·
Registered
301 Posts
Wet Okole seat covers stopped the shocking for me :D Oh, plus they're comfy and clean up well.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
John Luttrell said:
...my ass seems to build up an un-Godly amount of static as I get out of the truck...
Did you get new seat covers by any chance? Getting static zapped is very frequently caused by seat covers that are made of synthetic materials.
Alternatively it might be your clothing if that is synthetic fibers.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, thanks guys...........that static guard must be some space age stuff. I sprayed some on my seats and the problem is gone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts