TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've been having a problem with my '02 double cab. Seems like everytime I get out of the truck, I cannot touch the metal on the truck or anything else for that matter, without getting a sharp static shock!!! I have cloth seats and it doesn't seem to matter what kind of clothes I am wearing. I have been TRAINED(!!!) to touch something metal with my keys first, as the spark arcs on the end of the keys instead of my fingers!!!

I feel like a damn dog with a bark collar!! Somebody help!!

Thanks!

Beave

·
Registered
556 Posts
Is the weather very dry up there? Winter usually dries the air to a lower humidity and with drier air comes static electricity. And your cloth seats don't help either. Everytime you get in and out of your seat you create static electricity. Just a word of caution when filling gas... don't put the hose on auto-fill and get back into your truck until it finishes filling up and them get up and touch the hose. Static electricity will build up and KABOOOOOM :eek: .

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I get the same thing. It's more noticeable here in CO than when I'm in the midwest. And it's not unique to our trucks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My '94 did that every winter. Haven't had that problem with my '04 yet.

Simple fix. Go to your local grocery store. Pick up a spray can of Static Gaurd. Should be with the laundry stuff. Spray your seats down. Don't need to soak them in it. That will do the trick for about a month or so. Respray when you start feeling it again.

The truck will smell a little funny for about an hour or two after you spray. But after that, happy, shock-free days.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
My 94 truck had a bad problem with static electricity. I finally bought a roll of braided ground strap, bolted one end to the bottom and the of the body and the frame let the other end drag on the ground. I had to replace it once when it caught on a tree branch I drove over.
Tim

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, thanks for the ideas guys.

Beave

·
Registered
301 Posts
Just buy some Wet Okole seat covers. They actually fixed my static electricity problem :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts