TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not a taco question, but a Toyota question.
Last week (one time) my wife's Rav-4 did not want to turn over, when it did start, it died. when she tried again it fired right up and has been working fine since.
She took it in for regular maintenance today, mentioned the starting problem and wanted them to check it out.. Now they want $550 to clean the throttle body and replace the Idle Speed Control Valve! :eek:

I called BS and said DO Nothing, the Throttle body can be cleaned with part of a can of TB cleaner and if the Idle speed Control Valve was bad it would be idling rough all the time(wouldn't it?). The tech said No, the Idle Speed Control valve only works at start up to rev the engine to a higher RPM, then cuts out.....

Am I wrong here or is Toyota, and How much should an Idle Speed Control Valve cost? and in the ISCV was bad, wouldn't it throw a CE since this is an emissions device???)
Thanks for any help

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
DakotaTacoma said:
Last week (one time) my wife's Rav-4 did not want to turn over, when it did start, it died. when she tried again it fired right up and has been working fine since.
She took it in for regular maintenance today, mentioned the starting problem and wanted them to check it out.. Now they want $550 to clean the throttle body and replace the Idle Speed Control Valve! :eek:

I called BS and said DO Nothing, the Throttle body can be cleaned with part of a can of TB cleaner and if the Idle speed Control Valve was bad it would be idling rough all the time. The tech said No, the Idle Speed Control valve only works at start up to rev the engine to a higher RPM, then cuts out.....

Am I wrong here or is Toyota, and How much should an Idle Speed Control Valve cost?
Thanks
TB like you said is easy to clean and as far as the ICV is concerned since you know what your talking about you should replace it yourself.

·
Your Rig Sucks
618 Posts
I show the Valve to retail for $210.00 Sounds like you are getting ripped to me. You can get it much cheaper from Chris King also.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Dude--I thought the stealer was actually screwing your wife and you were getting a hell of a deal on a 2005 Taco---O well, wishful thinking--Dave

·
Registered
196 Posts
damnit boy that was funny. nothing like brotherly love. :D

·
Registered
185 Posts
LMAO.....thats what I was thinkin too......funny

BTW....Rule #1 Never EVER let your woman take her car into the dealer.....they just see em coming & screw them over.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Is this idle speed control valve the same as the 22RE's throttle body injector (for start-ups...like a choke)? If so, the dealer may be right. I remeber takin the wire off of the injector for one reason or another and a didn't notice that I didnt put it back on properly. A few days later my truck was starting after like 10-20 sec of tuning over then worked fine. Then a few more days later, I lifted my hood the check it out and it turned out that my wire rattled off the injector. I put it back on PROPERLY and it fired right up.

So if the idle speed contol valve is the same as the 22RE's throttle body injector, then the mechanic is right. They only work momentarily to shoot some fuel in early for start-up.

·
Registered
117 Posts
We had a RAV4 and it did that smae thing a few times!! Was it a 97 by any chance?

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
DakotaTacoma said:

I called BS and said DO Nothing, the Throttle body can be cleaned with part of a can of TB cleaner and if the Idle speed Control Valve was bad it would be idling rough all the time(wouldn't it?). The tech said No, the Idle Speed Control valve only works at start up to rev the engine to a higher RPM, then cuts out.....

Am I wrong here or is Toyota, and How much should an Idle Speed Control Valve cost? and in the ISCV was bad, wouldn't it throw a CE since this is an emissions device???)
Thanks for any help
buy the valve from trdparts4u and replace it yourself ;)
cleaning it will do some good but you are correct, it will idle a little rough all the time when that valve is bad. Mine is bad on my Corolla but I've been too lazy to swap it out.

My wife has an '01 RAV; and it seems there are others, LOL

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts
hytenor said:
buy the valve from trdparts4u and replace it yourself ;)
cleaning it will do some good but you are correct, it will idle a little rough all the time when that valve is bad. Mine is bad on my Corolla but I've been too lazy to swap it out.

My wife has an '01 RAV; and it seems there are others, LOL
I see you have achieved "Veteran Post Whore" status. Congrats. lmao

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Talked to the tech (really a nice guy) yesterday. He said the ISCVs do go bad on the Rav-4's and he has tried cleaning them before, but it is not a guaranteed fix, so he always just recommends just replacing them. He even was nice enough to show me were it is in the engine and how to replace it. However, he did say they he had not run any diagnostics on it and was making the recommendation on the symptoms.
I'm going to go ahead and just clean the TB and see if the symptoms are cured. Not that it has not done the same thing again anyway

He also found a bunch of leaves under the hood, which lead to stories about rats and mice, I told him about my issue with a rat nest in my fan blower and AC condenser. He said they get then all the time. Last week a car came in with a dead mom and 5 babies in the blower. He said he was feeding another rat in the shop that came in in someones car and was living behind his tool chest. And the best on was that there was one of those fancy showroom cars in the middle of the actual showroom that someone wanted, they went to start it, and it ran like crap, they popped the hood and found that a rat had chewed two of the spark plug wires along with several others! In the middle of the showroom! Classic!

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
GOT COPE? said:
I see you have achieved "Veteran Post Whore" status. Congrats. lmao
do you think "Ultimate" would be to much? :p

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
They pulled the throttle body cleaning thing on my stepdad when he took my truck in for the 60,000 mile check-up. It ended up costing him 450 bucks and did absolutely nothing for my idle speed. I called them about it and they wanted me to come in again for it because it was really dirty. Which I didn't. I think my stepdad got ripped off and that was my last experience at that dealership.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
DakotaTacoma said:

Thanks for any help
I had a '97 Rav4 and it did the same thing. I took it to the dealer in my town twice and both times they said it was bad gas. I ended up calling Toyota and took it to another dealer and after they checked it out they said it was some type of bad computer part. They said it was a recall of some sorts. They didn't charge me anything so I didn't ask much. It acted fine after that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts