TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
steering a sweet 4x4

turning radius is not as much in 4wd and and much less in L4 correct?
2wd steering wheel turns all over withno resistance. in 4 and especially L4 it has more resisitance correct? i know ill get flamed for this so im ready.
Or maybe im nervous in 4wd so my arms get weaker.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
so i know ill get flamed for this but im ready.
when is 2wd your turning radius is much greater and sneakier, and when in 4wd or especially L4 its has much more resistance when steering correct? or maybe i just get nervous and my biceps give out when im in L4.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
The fact that you have 4wd going increases your turning radius. "when", I am not sure if this is a question or a statement. Not flaming but wondering what you are saying. Think about what 4wd will do on dry pavement while turning and that will give you a hint about why it increases turning radius.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
turning radius is not as much in 4wd and and much less in L4 correct?
2wd steering wheel turns all over withno resistance. in 4 and especially L4 it has more resisitance correct? i know ill get flamed for this so im ready.
Or maybe im nervous in 4wd so my arms get weaker.
Dude the flaming will be ridiculous.. search for posts on using 4wd on hard surfaces.... 4wd on the pavement is bad... this should have stayed in noob land... but if your just playing offroad then yes it will have a shorter turning radius but 4h and 4l should be the same.

·
Registered
672 Posts
You have nothing to worry about as long as you are not on pavement.

Your turning radius will increase slightly, a little bit more with the locker engaged (when I installed my noslip it seemed to not turn as well).

As far as it requiring more arm strenth, with power steering you have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Dude the flaming will be ridiculous.. search for posts on using 4wd on hard surfaces.... 4wd on the pavement is bad... this should have stayed in noob land... but if your just playing offroad then yes it will have a shorter turning radius but 4h and 4l should be the same.
It seems to be moved into the Newbie Section - possibly less flaming there.

Not a good place for this one.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,525 Posts
Turning radius is not defined by whether you are in 4wd or not. You have the same turning radius regardless. The only real way to change your turning radius is to change your front suspension geometry or change the wheelbase.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,525 Posts
BTW- Please dont create multiple threads about the same topic. It just clutters the forums. I've merged both of your threads into this one.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
really though, when im in 4wd the steering wheel resists more and doesnt want to make as sharp of turns.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,525 Posts
Its called driveline bind-up. The 4wd system in your truck is such that differences in wheel rotation from front to rear and side to side can cause the front and rear drivelines to want to rotate at different speeds, causing the resistance you feel.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
^^^

OP... You will notice more steering resistance when on high traction surfaces (ie... hard packed dirt) and less steering resistance on loose surfaces...

You should not engage 4WD hi or low on high traction surfaces... as it creates more bind in the driveline...
Which led you to this inquery (s) :rolleyes:

If you have an owners manual... you should read it... If not... You should get one and then read it... ;)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
that explanation was the best ive got so far. my butler is on the way to check on the manual. (i cant read) thanks

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
If you drive in 4wd on the pavement, i suggest you change your practice.

My gf's mother moved my truck one night because I was passed out on the couch. She hit the 4wd button and all it took was moving the truck, (note full lock to full lock a couple times) to get my cv's to viberate after...

The cv's had no play, but vibrated. At the same time, I did a manual hub swap...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts