TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that some of you are running your steering box with it tilted forward rather than being level to the frame. What are the advantages and disadvantages to bolting it on at an angle?

·
Registered
295 Posts
put it straight up, I made the mistake of putting it at an angle, and I have to run the springs long side forward b/c my draglink/tierod interfered.

·
Registered
314 Posts
You guys have any pictures on these. I'm planning on using 12" coil-overs, could I then tilt my steering box slightly?

I was also under the impression that if you tilt your box slightly, you decrease the angle of the U-joint for the steering shaft.....This is a good thing, correct?

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
supahonkey said:
I noticed that some of you are running your steering box with it tilted forward rather than being level to the frame. What are the advantages and disadvantages to bolting it on at an angle?
You want to get the pitman arm as close to the frame as possible so it doesn't limit compression on the driver's side. If necessary, there are flatter pitman arms out there than the stock Toy stuff.

You also want to get the box as far forward as possible. I have seen installs where the core support was cut out to allow the box to be installed way forward. This lets you put your axle farther forward and avoid problems stuffing the tires into the firewall.

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Hunt4Steve said:
You guys have any pictures on these. I'm planning on using 12" coil-overs, could I then tilt my steering box slightly?

I was also under the impression that if you tilt your box slightly, you decrease the angle of the U-joint for the steering shaft.....This is a good thing, correct?
like mike said you can run a flat pitman arm. here is a pic of mine, when i first sleaved the frame for the DOM inserts i didnt allow for enough room for the flat pitman since the box i had had the drop on it and i didnt have the flat one yet. so i had to patch up the frame, redrill and plate the frame again, during the process i ran out of wire so i just used a stick welder. it has since been redone from this pic with 3/8" plate on all 4 sides of the frame and come back about 14". and yes with the box straight up your steering shaft angle wont be the best but mine does not bind and works for me. i used the sky manufaturing flat pitman arm and drilled it out for 3/4" bolts to use with hiems.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hunt4Steve said:
I'm planning on using 12" coil-overs, could I then tilt my steering box slightly?
The clearance issues are with drag link end hitting the leaf springs when compressing the drivers side. With coil-overs I can't think of any related clearance issues - so I would think you can mount your box however you feel like ;)

later!
shane

1 - 11 of 11 Posts