TTORA Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the range of years that I need to look at to find the proper steering box? I've seen from 86-90 on the parts lists but would like to know the complete range of pick-ups and 4Runners so I can start calling around. Thanks. ....Steve

·
sunuva
73 Posts
Did you find your axle yet? FrankenTaco has a write-up on rebuilding the steering box, pretty good reading...

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dsopac said:
Did you find your axle yet? FrankenTaco has a write-up on rebuilding the steering box, pretty good reading...
I've got my axle (from an 82 Waggy), springs and am picking up my steering box with shaft and joint on the week-end from an 88 4Runner. Planning on ordering seals, balljoints, bearings and figuring out what knuckles to use in the next few weeks when the cash allows. I'm hoping to be ready to start mid-august.

EDIT** I've been reading all the "SASing" sites I can find and Roberts is one of the ones I keep going back to as well as Mike's.

·
sunuva
73 Posts
Good deal. Yesterday was the first time I ever noticed that write-up myself....

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Buck said:
what's the link?

Mike's site.

Derek, plans are changing up here and I've begun liquidating all my SAS parts. The axle is gone, springs are gone and my steering box is on hold. The SAS is now on hold until I figure out a few things house wise. ...Steve

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Steve, it's none of my business, but I noticed your post stating things are on hold for your SFA. Just wanted to say, I know exactly how you are feeling although I have no idea of your particular situation (in other words, it's none of my business)

But like I was saying I know your pain, I have been trying to get my axle on my truck for over 4 years and it still not on. I thought I was going to start cutting on the rig at the end of this month and bam! more set backs, and I have no idea of when exactly I will be ready.

Just keep your head up and do what you can when you can. If you really want to SAS, just strike a plan but be willing to be flexible. There are no laws stating how long the process must take. It's frustrating, but I think it is going to be worth the wait,At least for me. Might even appreciate it even more this way. At worst, think of it this way, now you can really shop for the best prices on everything and might save a coin or two.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bear said:
Steve, it's none of my business, but I noticed your post stating things are on hold for your SFA. Just wanted to say, I know exactly how you are feeling although I have no idea of your particular situation (in other words, it's none of my business)

But like I was saying I know your pain, I have been trying to get my axle on my truck for over 4 years and it still not on. I thought I was going to start cutting on the rig at the end of this month and bam! more set backs, and I have no idea of when exactly I will be ready.

Just keep your head up and do what you can when you can. If you really want to SAS, just strike a plan but be willing to be flexible. There are no laws stating how long the process must take. It's frustrating, but I think it is going to be worth the wait,At least for me. Might even appreciate it even more this way. At worst, think of it this way, now you can really shop for the best prices on everything and might save a coin or two.
It's very possible we're moving in the near future and with that will come a ton of expenses so part of the reason is financial. The other consideration is that the axle and parts are heavy, dirty and take up a lot of space so I'd rather not move or store them. My third reason is there's a 95% chance our local trail system is going to be closed on Sept 17th so it isn't worth building a SA rig to drive around town.

I'm not giving up on the SAS but if it looks like it can happen after we re-organize I'm sure I'll start rounding up parts again. If the trails all close then I guess it's time to build a fast car. :D Thanks for the post. ...Steve

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Soounds like all very valid reasons! I understand the moving issue. I just moved 1200 miles but I was fortunate to have the company pick up my moving expenses. So I had the movers pack everything, store it all until I got moved in and then I was in good shape. Even though they packed my tv in the same crate as the axle 9can you imagine that damage?)

I can understand the reservation though over them closing your trails, that surely wouldn't make any sense if you won't be able to utilize the axle after it's on the truck.

best of luck to you!

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
SteveO said:
Mike's site.

Derek, plans are changing up here and I've begun liquidating all my SAS parts. The axle is gone, springs are gone and my steering box is on hold. The SAS is now on hold until I figure out a few things house wise. ...Steve
sounded like in the other post you were trying to gfigure out something with knuckles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts