TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This started within the past couple of weeks. If I take a right turn, when the wheel comes back to center, there is an audible click and i can feel the click with my feet on the floor board. Could this be the u-joints in the steering shaft going bad? It is weird because it is only making the noise coming back to center from a right hand turn. I also noticed it today when braking hard during a right turn. Any suggestions?

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
I know you say a clink instead of clunk... But there's good info here... That may help...

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11145&highlight=steering+clunk

Check all the bolts near the rag joint/slip shaft and move the shaft manually where it goes into the cab and generally just look for play... Do you have tilt steering ? If so does it do it in every position or just when it's down or something ?

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I just checked the steering. There is no play in the rack when turning and I couldn't feel any play in the shaft. As for the tilt, it does it in the position i drive in.

BTW..it won't do it when sitting still.

Dell how did you determine there was play in the joints? By shaking the shaft, turning the wheel?

Oh yah, I definately have the clunk that that thread is discussing and have had it for a while. THis new problem is more of a click. At first I thought maybe the sheet metal around the body mounts cracked bc of the BL but didn't find anthing visible.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
cooper4x4 said:
I just checked the steering. There is no play in the rack when turning and I couldn't feel any play in the shaft. As for the tilt, it does it in the position i drive in.

BTW..it won't do it when sitting still.

Dell how did you determine there was play in the joints? By shaking the shaft, turning the wheel?

Oh yah, I definately have the clunk that that thread is discussing and have had it for a while. THis new problem is more of a click. At first I thought maybe the sheet metal around the body mounts cracked bc of the BL but didn't find anthing visible.
If you feel it in the floor... First suspect would be the joint thru the firewall... What about a failing tie rod end... Or the inner end bushings of the rack (Not the mount bushings :rolleyes: )

1)... If it only does it in the position you drive in (I'm assuming it's down at it's lowest)... then it could be the universal joint for the tilt operation (as that is the most extreme angle)... (check for the noise by putting the steering wheel in different tilt positions)... But I would doubt you'd feel this joint thru the floor... Can you isolate the sound ?

2)... Play in joints... Turn the steering shaft (under the truck) near the rag joint (Vice grips make it easier ;) ).. while someone holds the steering wheel still... (you may be able to use the steering lock mech. But that moves a little if I remember... You'll hear the noise if the joints are worn... and you may be able to feel it as well if you touch the shaft near the firewall where the joint is located (this would only test for overall slop in both joints)... Repeat the test lower down the column (interior) to check each joint individually... Example... to test the upper joint... Hold the steering wheel and the shaft down near the brake pedal.... To check the lower joint... Hold the shaft by the rag joint and inside near the brake pedal... Have the other person hold still and you turn the shaft to feel for play...

3)... Fix yer clunk... ha ha (it could be there is a relation to these sounds)

4)... Get another person to listen and help you try to isolate the noise...

5)... Check the column area for interference with the plastic and any debris that may have got in there... LOL

6)... Are you sure yer not just hearing the turn signal cancel click ? :p

7)... And lastly but most importantly... :dunno:... Just keep driving it 'til it worsens... LOL

·
Registered
18 Posts
Check your sway bar links. Tighten the nuts.

I searched for weeks for that noise. After tightening every bolt, replacing the rack bushings, and spending so much time under the truck... I grabbed the ends of the swaybay and shook it and found the culprit. :mad:

my 2 cents...

--Hiroshi

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bump...also wanted to note that if the wheel is turned 1/8 - 1/4 turn to the right and I go over bumps, the click is there also while holding the wheel steady.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Brad, is it just one click or two clicks when it makes noise? I have a click that will make noise on compression and rebound that I haven't pinpointed. But mine seems to make that noise no matter which direction the wheels are pointing. Im at a toss up between the lower control arm cam bolts and the lower spherical bearing in the coilovers. ???? But I can't feel anything through the floorboard.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is just one distinct click and you feel it at your feet when it happens. It is really noticeable on dirt roads that have a lot of bumps. I am going to inspect the firewall area mroe today to see if I can find something. I don't really feel it in the wheel though. I am clueless.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Brad I know you arleady checked the body lift, but check it again.

this whole thread made me think of Deja vu. and I finally realized why.

Even though you have a roger brown lift, and I had the P.A lift. I would from time to time get a clicking noise while turning, especially out at the Den between trails…checked everything and couldn't find a thing. I checked the body bolts and they would tight…was very confusing. Then one day even though the body bolts were tight, I decided to tork down the passneger side even though it felt tight basically overtightening the nuts. Believe it or not it solved the clicking.

Now that I have the cage that sandwiches the floorboard…it has been the saving grace on loosening body bolts. Before the cage, I would have to tork down the body bolts every two or three months due to clicking, popping and even bed shifting. Even though the bolts would feel tight. Now that the cage is in place, it holds the cab in place. The body bolts may still loosen up, but the cage prevents any of the slight shifting…It takes less than 1/16th of an inch to cause a noise with our trucks.

I am not saying to cage your truck, but at least tork down the body bolts. Even though they seem tight.

Same thing with the passenger seat! When I first got the truck, that seat would creek and moan as if it was about to fall out of the truck, I finally got tired of it and tightened down the bolt next to the tranny tunnel so tight I thought I was going to snap the 14mm bolt in half. I finally got the noise to go away.

Sucks that you have to tighten the bolts so tight at times, but then again, if you didn't have to, then what would you have to do with your idle hands?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts