TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a new rack and outer tie rods installed about a month ago. Went turkey hunting and climbed a rocky hill in Missouri. After getting back out on the main road I noticed the steering popping when I turned the steering left and right with the engine running and sitting in park. Doesn't do it when driving unless I'm going extremely slow (backing out or turning in to parking space). Something happened on that hill. Truck drives fine. Just an annoying pop sitting still turning the steering.????

·
Registered
311 Posts
I just had a new rack and outer tie rods installed about a month ago. Went turkey hunting and climbed a rocky hill in Missouri. After getting back out on the main road I noticed the steering popping when I turned the steering left and right with the engine running and sitting in park. Doesn't do it when driving unless I'm going extremely slow (backing out or turning in to parking space). Something happened on that hill. Truck drives fine. Just an annoying pop sitting still turning the steering.????
I would check for any loose holdown bolts on the rack, and then go from there.:winking:

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Worn or loose ball joints, yes I had a lower ball joint come unbolted before of other worn rod ends can make bumps in the night. Start wiggling stuff around, usually best to jack a tier up off the ground and wiggle then do the other side.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I figured out what it is.......The fellow that installed my new rack got some power steering ( tranny fluid ) on the inside of the large bushing that goes around the rack. I went to a guy I trust and he got under the truck while I turned the steering. He said he wasn't expecting that type of noise. He said he had never seen this before but he is 99% sure that's what it is. It makes a grunt when the rack shifts just the slightest amount. It only does it when the truck is sitting still and running.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts