TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed lock right lockers in the front and rear differentials of my 79 toyota. Now when i have it in 4 wheel drive it pulls to one side. When I hit the gas it pulls left, when I let off if pulls right. Has anybody experienced this or know what could cause it?

Jake

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Does it do it in 2WD?

Is this 4WD on pavement?

My guess is that it's an alignment issue that was masked by only having 1 wheel turn before. I have also heard that some people have gotten the wrong springs with their lockrights and they acted funny. It was on another forum, if I come across the thread, I'll post the link.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does it only in 4wd not in 2. It does it both on pavement and offroad.

·
Registered
230 Posts
mines not locked but it doesnt do this, in my mind i see no reason for this to be normal especially being locked, its makes more sense in my mind for this to happen unlocked than locked, i would (in my opinion) be inclined to check axles and birfs and especially the hubs to make sure they are in all good working order, especially the hubs since you probly woulda noticed the axles or birfs bein messed up... but thats how it seems in my head and i have limited experience with lockers.. :D

·
Registered
241 Posts
Do you still have the torque rod installed (the dogbone connecting the axle to the frame)?

·
Registered
415 Posts
fourwd1 said:
Do you still have the torque rod installed (the dogbone connecting the axle to the frame)?

X2

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've got dual detroits...

On the street, at low speed manuevers, the rear is so sticky that it feels like the E brake is dragging. Once I get rolling and the diff warms up, I don't notice any pulling.

When turning, if I back off the throttle a bit, it unlocks, and then turns easier.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Have you checked to make sure that your tire pressures are equal? Tires of the same diameter?

I have a noslip in the rear of my truck... and if the tire pressures are not equal it will do the same thing... Might help, might not, my :2cents:

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,523 Posts
Thats torque steer caused by the front locker trying to "steer" your truck. Like the others said, get used to it with the lockers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That makes sense that the it is the locker doing it, because it steers one way and when torque is applied to the pinion which locks the locker it wants to either straighten out or turn the other way. And yes I have the same diameter tires and air pressure. If I didnt' It would pull to one side in 2 wheel drive too.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
That's why solid lockers s*ck for mud, snow, ice etc (slippery). The wheels can't articulate. You keep going straight while turning the wheels. You have to back up (locker release) then go forward and hope the locker doesn't lock before turn complete. Great for going straight, s*cks for turning. :2cents:

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
jake7995 said:
I just installed lock right lockers in the front and rear differentials of my 79 toyota. Now when i have it in 4 wheel drive it pulls to one side. When I hit the gas it pulls left, when I let off if pulls right. Has anybody experienced this or know what could cause it?

Jake
yep, welcome to the world of NON-selectable lockers. :rolleyes:

now you get to learn how to drive your rig all over again.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
fourwd1 said:
x3.....Also check the condition of all you front end connections; Leaf/shackle bushings, TRE's etc. could magnify the effect of the auto locker.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As long as I can rip through anything I need to, learning to drive the truck isn't a concern.

·
Registered
71 Posts
jake7995 said:

Jake
ditto on the life with lockers - you will probably want to look at a twin stick set up soon - as this helps a lot in tight situations. As you may already know - when in 4wd & a front locker - the rig will want to go straight.

With the twin stick you can switch in and out of 4wd - even while in low range.

I have it on my 4runner and love it.

·
Premium Member
4,982 Posts
Smiling_Jim said:
On the street, at low speed manuevers, the rear is so sticky that it feels like the E brake is dragging. Once I get rolling and the diff warms up, I don't notice any pulling.

When turning, if I back off the throttle a bit, it unlocks, and then turns easier.
dont drive in 4wd on the street :slap:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just bought a 2002 tacoma so I won't be driving it much on the street at all anymore.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Twin sticks help with drivel line bind but do nothing for front axle, steering wierdness, bind.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts