TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok from the steering wheel I only get 1 3/4 turns from tires pointed straight to the left. And 2 3/4 turns to the right. Why is it I can't turn to the left more. I'm hitting the curb each u-turn I make. The steering stops arent touching on the left at full but they are going all the way to the stops on the right. Is it something to do with my draglink maybe. Any Ideas :confused:
Thanks, Matt

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Should be about two turns either way.
Find the middle, line up the pitman straight back.
Straighten up the wheels best as possible, put the tierod on it then just roadadjust.

Ideally, steering stops will pick up right before the box quits.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is there a way to tell if the pitman arm is on the box wrong. I just lined it up straight on there and hooked up everything. I thought it was supposed to be straight from trail gear.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
With your wheels pointed straight, The arm should be somewhat parallel to the frame rail. That is how I set mine up and it works fine. Is you r steering wheel straight when you are going straight down the road? The clockspring can limit the revolution if the steering wheel and clockspring aren't centered.

·
Registered
415 Posts
swank501 said:
With your wheels pointed straight, The arm should be somewhat parallel to the frame rail. That is how I set mine up and it works fine.
X2

thats what I did and I never had a problem

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the pitman arm is set perfectly parallel with the frame. The steering wheel is almost perfect when going straight.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
swank501 said:
The clockspring can limit the revolution if the steering wheel and clockspring aren't centered.
Same as spiral cable? If so I guess thats what finally snapped on mine.
Tied to the horn in anyway? Because my horn doesn't work now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
aztaco1 said:
the pitman arm is set perfectly parallel with the frame. The steering wheel is almost perfect when going straight.
if the box was not at center when you put the arm on then the arm location does not mean anything. The box will only turn so far to the left/ right before it hits it's max. Hope that made sense.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Wes said:
Same as spiral cable? If so I guess thats what finally snapped on mine.
Tied to the horn in anyway? Because my horn doesn't work now.
Yup! the clock cable/spiral cable houses, the cruise control, the horn and the airbag connection. you loose your spiral cable you will loose those three elements as well! It has happened twice to me!

to the O.P. your steering box was not centered before you installed it! as mentioned a couple of times. disconnect the pitman arm, center the box via the steering wheel, counting the rotations it take to go from stop to stop. you should have 4 and 3/4 turns from lock to lock. Disregard where steering wheel spokes end up. Place pitman arm parallel to frame. If your steering wheel is not sitting in perfect orienation, remove steering wheel and reposition it.

If your alignment is off forcing the truck to have the wheels pointed in either direction, adjust your drag link at this time to center passenger wheel. While keeping the passenger wheel straight adjust your tie rod to equal the drivers side wheel to match up to the passenger side. Now your steering should be centered and your truck in alignment!~

I have had to align my truck so much this way. I have it down to about a 10 minute process! After the second or third time, it is rather easy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
Bear
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing