TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, where should I start?

1.I rebuilt my PSP a week ago to get rid of the all to common whining. Rebuilt it, hooked her back up and steering effort was easier but I still had a whine. Before I left for a 200 mile trip I noticed I had a leak, not enough time to fix so I hit the road. I figured it was the copper washers that go on the high pressure line. I still havent found the leak, I'm waiting till I head home and I'll pull the pump again or replace the washers and see if that will stop it. I may also try to get a wrench on the back plate, or any bolt, and see if I can tighten it any. On to the whining, it seems to be rpm related and it also seems like it may be the bypass valve in the pump. When it sucks the fluid down into the pump it makes another loud whining noise. What could this be? When I put the pump back together I made sure all the fins, or whatever you would call them, had the smooth edge facing out. And the tech at firestone said my pump was going out.

2.Went to get realigned this morning after I got my rear leafs on and the tech found my rack bushings need to be replaced and possibly the inner tie rod ends. I saw the entire rack move myself so I agree with him on the rack bushings since it is a common problem. But what about the rod ends? He held the rack and pushed and pulled on the tierod and both moved at the same time. Could this be the inner rod ends or could it be the slack in the rack itself? I know the rack runs off a worm gear and through research on yotatech if you flip the gear it will take that slack out. What yall think? Thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
get the poly rack bushings. and yeah the rod ends wear out too.
i replaced the rack and ends and bushings, ball joints and control arm bushings.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went ahead and ordered wheelers rack kit. I'll see what it does then I'll get the rod ends. Thanks

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
I replaced my inners (which did need it) only to find out the rack had too much play in it. Replaced it as well.

I also replaced the bushings with energy suspension kit? Whichever the recommended kit is around here. I could tell a slight difference in steering feel, but mainly I was comforted knowing I had fresh poly bushings in there as opposed to the rubber junk that was looking chewed up when removed.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know for sure about the bushings. I'll have to wait to get the boots off to check the inners. I'm not really sure about them though because when he pushed and pulled on the tie rod both moved so I'm thinking that the rack probably has some slack in it as well. I found a fix for it over on yotatech, you just flip a worm gear and this is supposed to take some of the slack out. Thanks

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
you can check your inner tie rods by grabbing the tire as 3 and 9 and shake the tire as if you are trying to turn the wheel and look at the tie rod while doing it. you will be able to tell if it is the inner or outer tie rod is bad. I have had to replace my inners 3 times in 120,000 miles and it tightens up the play every time.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My bushings are in. So I'll see what they do this weekend. Hope it dont take all weekend. :eek:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Inners are fine, the rack itself has slack, power steering pump disabled, and the bushings are in. Now my problems are with the pump. Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts