TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck failed inspection today because the ball joint on the end of the steering rack shaft has play in it on passenger side.

Is there no way to have that ball joint replaced without having to buy a whole friggin steering rack? That`s the only thing wrong with it.
This sure came at the wrong time of year if I have to buy a comlete rack! ! :mad: <end of rant>

Will a later model rack work for my 96? Hoping to find someone who`s done an SAS and still has their`s

Btw I have 96 4x4/3.4/manual

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
165 Posts
When yout saying ball joints don't you mean Inner Tie-Rod Ends? You can replace them. I now my rack is going bad. The shaft on the drivers side moves up and down, but I've been told aslong as it's not leaking it's not a inspection problem.

·
Registered
662 Posts
96tacolx said:
My truck failed inspection today because the ball joint on the end of the steering rack shaft has play in it on passenger side.

Is there no way to have that ball joint replaced without having to buy a whole friggin steering rack? That`s the only thing wrong with it.
This sure came at the wrong time of year if I have to buy a comlete rack! ! :mad: <end of rant>

Will a later model rack work for my 96? Hoping to find someone who`s done an SAS and still has their`s

Btw I have 96 4x4/3.4/manual

Thanks for any help
If you are talking about where the tie rod ends connect to the plate on the steering knuckle then you can just replace the tie rods. However, they are a b*tch to replace unless you are blessed and they come loose easy (not my case). If you have any more questions just ask. I have replaced my tie rods, but it was not fun.

·
Registered
165 Posts
4TACXOMA4 said:
Sorry, but wouldn't those be the outer tie rod ends?
The Inner ones are closes to the rack. I was thinking Inner because there trying to sell him a new rack. If it's the outer ones then there really trying to screw 96tacolx. I think he needs a second option.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No this is not the tie rod ends. It`s the ball joint inside the boot. Right on the very end of the shaft for the steering rack.

I`ll post a pic as soon as I figure out how.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
96tacolx said:
No this is not the tie rod ends. It`s the ball joint inside the boot. Right on the very end of the shaft for the steering rack.

I`ll post a pic as soon as I figure out how.

thats the inner tie rod end, and yep, they are replaceable

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ShawnTRD said:
The Inner ones are closes to the rack. I was thinking Inner because there trying to sell him a new rack. If it's the outer ones then there really trying to screw 96tacolx. I think he needs a second option.
I do know that I can replace the outer tie rod ends but just didn`t know about replacing the inner one.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
drabnor said:
thats the inner tie rod end, and yep, they are replaceable
Ok, my bad. I didn`t know those were called tie rod ends too and until I got home did I even know what it looked like in there..... much less know that they were replaceable.

Btw this was the local stealership that was telling me that I needed a new rack.
Where can I get these?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
4TACXOMA4 said:
If you are talking about where the tie rod ends connect to the plate on the steering knuckle then you can just replace the tie rods. However, they are a b*tch to replace unless you are blessed and they come loose easy (not my case). If you have any more questions just ask. I have replaced my tie rods, but it was not fun.
Ok.....after really freaking out today thinking I was gonna have to by another rack I have ordered a new inner tie rod end. (Barb from trdparts4u )

How does it attach to the rack shaft?

Btw.....anybody from the Charlotte, NC area do not go to Toyota of Lake Norman. I asked them if that ball joint was replaceable and they looked me dead in the eye and said "NO". Their parts are also 3 times as much as from
trdparts4u. :mad:

·
Registered
436 Posts
96tacolx said:
Ok.....after really freaking out today thinking I was gonna have to by another rack I have ordered a new inner tie rod end. (Barb from trdparts4u )

How does it attach to the rack shaft?

Btw.....anybody from the Charlotte, NC area do not go to Toyota of Lake Norman. I asked them if that ball joint was replaceable and they looked me dead in the eye and said "NO". Their parts are also 3 times as much as from
trdparts4u. :mad:
it just unscrews from both ends. on the outer part, there is a nut that locks it down so it dont get loose while driving. just loosen it a LITTLE bit then unscrew the other portion from the outer tie rod end. (if u loosen that nut too much u are likely to get your alignment off a lil bit, which i recomend getting an alignment afterwards anyway.) now u should be able to remove the boot and get it out of the way. u will need a BIG wrench or i always use a pipe wrench AKA "monkey wrench". and just twist it off after u straighten the washer on it that is bent over to keep that part from turning. reassemble in reverse order of course. hope i made some sense, its really not that difficult.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
tenntaco said:
What type of inspection was this?
It`s the safety and emissions testing. They passed the emissions but failed the safety because of "play in the steering mechanism"

Although I am glad they saw it but furious that they told me a bold face lie.
Guess they were hoping I was an idiot and would let them install another steering rack.

jhorn_007
Thanks for the info......that`s exactly what I needed to know.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
96tacolx said:
It`s the safety and emissions testing. They passed the emissions but failed the safety because of "play in the steering mechanism"
I'm confused. A couple of posts back you ended by saying "BTW this was a stealership" or something to that effect. You weren't getting emmisions and saftey inspections done at a dealership in order to comply with state laws were you? Maybe I'm not catching on, or maybe NC is different, but it seems to me that that would be a pretty big conflict of interests.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
The dealerships generally don't have access to replacement tie-rod ends, so the standard fix at the dealership is a new rack ($$$). Usually you need to go to an aftermarket store to get the tie-rod ends.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
tenntaco said:
I'm confused. A couple of posts back you ended by saying "BTW this was a stealership" or something to that effect. You weren't getting emmisions and saftey inspections done at a dealership in order to comply with state laws were you? Maybe I'm not catching on, or maybe NC is different, but it seems to me that that would be a pretty big conflict of interests.

Yes the dealerships in NC can do the safety and emissions testing. I only take it to a dealership because the last place I took my truck for inspection couldn`t get the testing machine`s computer to "connect" with the OBD on my truck. Even if they fail your vehicle you still have to pay the $23.50 fee before you leave. Long story short, I have just started taking it to the dealership because there was no problem with connecting computers.

not2XS The dealerships generally don't have access to replacement tie-rod ends, so the standard fix at the dealership is a new rack ($$$). Usually you need to go to an aftermarket store to get the tie-rod ends.
I didn`t know until tonight that you could replace the inner tie rod ends.
Having a new one shipped to me from trdparts4u which is Toyota of Dallas,TX

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Interesting enough, the factory service manual lists how to take apart the rack itself and rebuild it, and what SST's are needed to do it.. but I've never seen a dealer touch it..

Oh yeah, I know a 2004 rack will fit a 1999 end to end with no problems at all, I've got one on mine..

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
About this Discussion
33 Replies
13 Participants
LunarTaco
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing