TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HA Steering questions and tie rod flip kit

Anyone purchase a 1.5"x8" ram from surpluscenter.com. Gathering my parts to finally go HA. I plan on getting the lines and fittings from a local hydraulic shop. Unless, it turns out to be cheaper and get a kit from rockstomper or rocklogic.

Also, I switched from h-steer to bringing the tie rod down and mounting it at the stock location on the steering knuckles, X-over steering. It seems as though that hi-steer decreases the longevity of the upper balljoints. Since, the leverage to turn the tires decreases from the stock location. I will probably run this set-up for good. Question is for those that still have the TR in the stock location, and flipped the TR to mount on top instead of the bottom. Are there any long term feedback as far as comparison of Hi-steer and X-over steering? I plan on switching my TR to 1.5" DOM tubing and use tube inserts to mount my TRE's.

Anyone got a TR reamer I can use? I can't justify an $80 tool I'm going to use twice.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WhyHikeAU said:
I bought one and lines from surplus center 100bucks for everyhting i needed. Only problem is i need some hiems to make it all work so a couple $10 al steel hiems welded on the ram should work.
The one I was looking at surpluscenter already had the heims on them. Which one did you get? How is the ram, junky or worth the price you paid?

Here's the one I was looking at: http://surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2007032112013872&item=9-7258-8&catname=hydraulic

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
8" stroke kit form Inchworm

Went ahead and purchased the 8" stroke kit from Jim at Inchworm Gear for $219 (not including tax and shipping cost). Although it's not listed on his site, he has it available. I also purchased his ubolt flip kit for the rear axle.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AggieTaco said:
What else is included in the kit?

I meant to respond - one of the guys in the club is running an 8" stroke from surplus center on his D60 4runner.
I asked Jim the same thing and he stated all the fittings, lines, mounting brackets and 8" ram.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AggieTaco said:
Eh, sounds like a decent deal. But Chris set up his assist for sub $150.
I wanted to piece the parts out as well but, convenience was a factor.

·
Registered
739 Posts
get a real ram, you'll be happier later, and as for the high versus low, i crushed my tierod about 5 times before i went back to high steer, rocks love to bent it in the stock location, and mine was 1.5 3/4 wall

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
get a real ram, you'll be happier later, and as for the high versus low, i crushed my tierod about 5 times before i went back to high steer, rocks love to bent it in the stock location, and mine was 1.5 3/4 wall
I went with the 8" ram from Jim at Inchworm. I believe this kit is actually from Rock Stomper.

I'm going to keep the tie rod under the leafs and convert to "above stock" location. Once I get either an HP44 or D60, I'll go back to high steer and get rid of the 2" wheel spacers as well. The combo of both seem to kill my upper ball joints faster than they should.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts