TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am gonna run with a Toyota IFS steering box and am looking for steering shaft advise etc,..... so what do you recommend and HOW/What do I need to do to make it work?
Thanks.

·
Registered
650 Posts
we are getting pricing on some NEW custom shafts from Borgensen right now. Their stuff isnt cheap, but it is very nice and will make for a bolt on install.

otherwise, go to the junkyards,
snag two ifs steering shafts, remove the rubber rag joint from one to make it a single ujoint,
drill the roll pins
install lower rag joint shaft onto box
slip ujoint portion onto male portion of steering column
extend shafts (no more roll pins lets them slide).
mark, redrill, and reinstall new roll pins.
once you get the shafts, you'll see how it works.
i have pics but cant post them here due to size limits.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
snowchucker said:
we are getting pricing on some NEW custom shafts from Borgensen right now. Their stuff isnt cheap, but it is very nice and will make for a bolt on install.

otherwise, go to the junkyards,
snag two ifs steering shafts, remove the rubber rag joint from one to make it a single ujoint,
drill the roll pins
install lower rag joint shaft onto box
slip ujoint portion onto male portion of steering column
extend shafts (no more roll pins lets them slide).
mark, redrill, and reinstall new roll pins.
once you get the shafts, you'll see how it works.
Please oh please send them to me as I do not understand what you are describing and I have one steering shaft and u-joint and rag joint as well, and I am still a tad bit like huh?

[email protected]

Also, how long till custom ones are ready?

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
snowchucker said:
email me your pics and I can resize them

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TMS2U said:
You can see how AJ set mine up on my Tundra. Same as Chuck esplayned except we also threw in a heim support for the shaft off of the shock hoop

Steering set up
Thanks Ted. That is one of the ways I was considering, just want to avoid welding steering if possible.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Captkirkyota said:
Thanks Ted. That is one of the ways I was considering, just want to avoid welding steering if possible.
Aah, c'mon ditch the lame rag joints! Grab a steering shaft from a 79-83 SA yota. Tear open your stock double jointed thing, and convert it to a single joint. While youre in there knock out the cut tiny splined end. Slip older yota shaft into the new joint, and weld right at the splines to keep it together. Walla, no lame tire reject in the steering, and a true slip yoke to boot!

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Front Range said:
Aah, c'mon ditch the lame rag joints! Grab a steering shaft from a 79-83 SA yota. Tear open your stock double jointed thing, and convert it to a single joint. While youre in there knock out the cut tiny splined end. Slip older yota shaft into the new joint, and weld right at the splines to keep it together. Walla, no lame tire reject in the steering, and a true slip yoke to boot!
I think pics are in order for lamo's like me to fully comprehend. :)

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oztaco said:
here hope this helps this is my set up.

oz.
Thanks OZ

I believe my dilemma is that on one end of my "U" joints, only one of them, is SMALLER that the others and does not fit either at the box or on the shaft itself, I've talked with one local guy here and he says that where my current rack type drops straight down is a smaller diameter shaft and that I can just angle that piece up and connect it rather than trying to use the whole shaft from the junkyard box, by connecting it to the column itself inside the firewall after disconnecting the smaller part, so....

He says leave the shaft as it is until thru firewall into engine compartment, then instead of it dropping straight down to rack I can point that smaller shaft straight forward, shorten my junkyard shaft weld it back together and use my smaller sized u-joint clamp onto the smaller taco shaft. Is that what everyone is also doing?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Yes you need to cut the stock ifs steering from the taco(top pic) and cut the one from the old toy(bottom pic with box) and weld them together (on bottom pic you can see where i welded both shaft together), just make sure you mesure from the inside the truck where the steering colum ends to the ps box to see how long you need the new shaft.
let me know if this is clear.
Oz.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Alright, Kirk, youre close. The smaller taco shaft, knock it out. The firewall end is big splines, the rack end is small. Those female larger spline are the same as older male splines. Now does this make sense?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Front Range said:
Alright, Kirk, youre close. The smaller taco shaft, knock it out. The firewall end is big splines, the rack end is small. Those female larger spline are the same as older male splines. Now does this make sense?
This I understand, BUT I have a double female u-joint with one side bigger and one side smaller, so what I was thinking is leave the taco stuff coming out thru firewall, shorten the used shaft above the crumple zone so it is retained, and then attach the large end to shortened shaft and then the smaller end to the piece that did shoot down to rack.

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
I did pretty much exactly what Brian said. I really don't like having rubber crap in my steering shaft so I decided to use all u-joints. Has worked great so far!

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
generalee7 said:
I did pretty much exactly what Brian said. I really don't like having rubber crap in my steering shaft so I decided to use all u-joints. Has worked great so far!
Does not having the rag joint increase your vibration and noise transfer? The rag is supposed to absorb vibes.

·
Registered
142 Posts
For my SAS, I used two old steering shafts from an early 90s 4runner and pickup. I cut off the female end of one of the shafts, and took out the entire shaft with the female end out of one of the steering shafts. All you have to do is break a small pin. Once that's done, you can combine the two shafts to make a somewhat slip yoke shaft. check out the links to the pictures of my steering shaft below:

steering shaft 1

steering shaft 2

steering shaft 3

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
supahonkey said:
For my SAS, I used two old steering shafts from an early 90s 4runner and pickup. I cut off the female end of one of the shafts, and took out the entire shaft with the female end out of one of the steering shafts. All you have to do is break a small pin. Once that's done, you can combine the two shafts to make a somewhat slip yoke shaft. check out the links to the pictures of my steering shaft below:

steering shaft 1

steering shaft 2

steering shaft 3
Ooh ooh ooh, I like that, that is prolly what Brian was talking about too, it is the right length like that to not come apart bottom out etc etc ?

·
Registered
739 Posts
heh what is the statis on those borg steering shafts, i have been talking to them as well and am wondering what exactly they are making? i talked to them about a 11/16 36 spline ujoint and a 24 inch shaft with 6 inches of slip, i think this will work for my set up no problem, so i'm wondering what is being special built? are the 2 ujoints different?seems this is a standard toyota set up for them?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
11 Participants
supahonkey
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing