TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently traded my pickup for an 87 4runner, and as is the pattern with me, i got pretty screwed on the deal. the most mind boggling of the issues that i am trying to solve, is one with the steering. The cv shafts were both shot, and i was hoping the issue would go away when i replaced them, but that was not the case.

87 4runner, 22re motor, 32" tires, 3-4" lift

if the truck is in 2wd, it steers and turns fine. as soon as i lock the hubs, without even engaging the 4wd, it is near impossible to steer. I can see near the front on where the steering linkage seems to hit a metal bump. im drawing a blank on the name of the piece, but i think its there to stop the steering at full turn, if that makes sense.

i know this is pretty vague, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Do you have a locker up there you don't know about?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have a locker up there you don't know about?

no locker that im aware of, but would a front locker pretty much eliminate the ability to steer completely?

Or are the spider gears froze up of welded?
i have yet to take apart the houding and look at the gears, i was really hoping it wasnt an issue with them, but am starting to re consider.

·
Registered
256 Posts
When I locked my front axle I had kind of the same issue . Wasn't ifs though .
Ram assist /1650 psi steering pump fixed the issue .
But if your fronts not locked then I have no idea

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
It has to be something in the differential.

Hopefully it is a locker or welded and not FUBAR.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It has to be something in the differential.

Hopefully it is a locker or welded and not FUBAR.

im gonna go with the second, judgin how everything else has gone thus far. it makes no noise, no pulls, no issues at all when in 2wd, and runs at 65 no problem. as soon as i lock those hubs its all over. its even more odd that i dont even have to engage the actual 4wd to make it happen.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Even without a locker if you have mismatched tires or uneven wear you can count on some strange steering issues. A locker would amplify these a lot. You dont need to open up the diff to tell if you have a locker. Just get both tires in the air, keep the tcase in 2wd, lock the hubs and spin the tires backwards, if bolth spin then you have some form of locker.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Even without a locker if you have mismatched tires or uneven wear you can count on some strange steering issues. A locker would amplify these a lot. You dont need to open up the diff to tell if you have a locker. Just get both tires in the air, keep the tcase in 2wd, lock the hubs and spin the tires backwards, if bolth spin then you have some form of locker.
the tires are basically brand new. no wear on them at all. imagine driving something with no power steering, then amplify that time 20 and we are in about the same realm ha ha.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, i jacked up the front end, left the tcase in 2wd and locked the hubs. spun the tires backwards and they both spun together. so i assume as you said its locked in some way. i would also assume, that it is welded as opposed to locked, but guess we will find out shortly.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have someone hold one of the tires still when you spin the other.
so i put the truck back up on stands, locked the hubs and left the trans case in 2wd. had the wife hold the tires, and as i tried to spin them, they wouldnt, as soon as she let go, they spun together.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yea definitely a locker in there, explains why your cv's were shot too
the guy i got it from had mentioned how chewed up the tires were, which is why it had brand new ones on it, makes sense now. I have never experienced a front locker, and dont understand what benefit that would give you, if it takes away the ability to steer when in use?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Offroad ability. On dirt at low speeds its not as scary. I have heard of using one hub unlocked for snowy road driving in 4wd. I personally have no first hand info on that though...

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
If it still has stock gearing it probably wouldn't be to hard or expensive to find a open replacement. A front locker is nice for certain types of wheeling but on the front ideally it should be a selectable locker.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Offroad ability. On dirt at low speeds its not as scary. I have heard of using one hub unlocked for snowy road driving in 4wd. I personally have no first hand info on that though...
funny you mentioned that, if i only engage the drivers side, it doesnt affect the steering.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts