TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a early tacoma, steering wheel is showing it's age and gets nasty dirty very easily. I bought one of these covers and it's a POS. Too tight and it eventually starts to pull to one side.

Can you recommend a good wheel cover? May have to be one which laces on?

Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
@alexh

I'm in the same boat so far I have not found one that is nice for under $60.

Been considering one of these: One Color Leather Steering Wheel Cover Manufacturer Made in USA and thinner than the one you linked if that is a concern for you.
But I gotta wait till I've got the disposable $ and this just has not yet gotten annoying enough for me to spend that much. the cracked washer bottle has to get fixed first :D

Boort

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah that's what i was leaning towards but price and durability of leather is a concern. If you search Amazon for "stitch steering wheel cover" you will find several options with microfiber leather (which I believe is a synthetic leather) or genuine leather for a fraction of the price.

One reviewer says the molded ones are either too tight or too loose which I think pretty much sums it up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I went with this brand, for a 2000 4Runner. Lacing it up wasn't too hard, and if you want to get creative, there are plenty of videos on YouTube of different lacing patters you can use. I just did a regular lace job on the 4Runner and it looked classy, but my son opted for red lace/string with his and he did a trickier lace-job that came out really nice because the red lace/string contrasted with the black leather wheel cover. We had actually bought 3 of these for different vehicles, and they all worked out great. One of them did arrive without the lacing string (the manufacturer's plastic-bag/package had opened at the bottom and the string must have slipped out prior to shipping), but the seller was quick to send me a few different color replacement lacing strings, so they fixed the situation better than new.

Can't remember which size I got for the 4Runner, so you'd have to measure and reference the size chart, but it fit over the wheel snug before lacing it up. Then after lacing & tightening it up, it made the steering wheel look & feel like new.

One tip: My son's steering wheel was in pretty bad shape prior to covering it. It had a couple of areas where the original wheel was worn out and almost had little bits/chunks missing. We used some filler (can't remember what type) and applied it to the affected areas to build up the surface and shape it back to the original shape in those damaged areas. Then after putting the new cover on, you couldn't really tell that there was damage underneath.

Good luck whichever way you go!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts