TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Hobart Mig welder that requires 220VAC but my garage only has a 110VAC outlet. Will a step up transformer work with a mig welder? I'm looking into getting one of these.

http://www.youdoitelectronics.com/id55.htm

Which do you recommend? Will this work?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,091 Posts
SCEXPLORER said:
I have a Hobart Mig welder that requires 220VAC but my garage only has a 110VAC outlet. Will a step up transformer work with a mig welder? I'm looking into getting one of these.

http://www.youdoitelectronics.com/id55.htm

Which do you recommend? Will this work?
It could possibly work but the issue for you will be that you probably don't have the current handling ablilty in the current 120V circuit. If your welder draws 20A at 240V (4800W) then you would need a 40A,120V circuit feeding the garage which you likely don't have. If you really want to run your welder have a 60 or 100A, 240 sub-service run out to your garage (ideal) or build an extension cord and run it from the house. ....Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah. right now I'm just disconnecting my AC fan outside and tapping into that. I guess a step up transformer is a no go. How hard is it to run a 220VAC line from the break box? Is this something a handy man with tools can do or do I have to call up a specialist.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
SCEXPLORER said:
How hard is it to run a 220VAC line from the break box? Is this something a handy man with tools can do or do I have to call up a specialist.
The fact that you're asking says it all, get a pro before you electrocute yourself or burn down the house.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
it is not only leagal, but suggested by many electricians for homeowners to run their own wires if they are handy and want to save a few $$.. just leave the final connections into the box for an electrician.

do not mess with the service box. even if you throw the breaker to the entire house there is still 440V and countless amps running through the incoming wires from the street.

i bet the actual wire will end up costing more than the electrician install.
 

·
truck ~n~ tow
Joined
·
10,917 Posts
SCEXPLORER said:
I have a Hobart Mig welder that requires 220VAC but my garage only has a 110VAC outlet. Will a step up transformer work with a mig welder? I'm looking into getting one of these.

http://www.youdoitelectronics.com/id55.htm

Which do you recommend? Will this work?
You don't have a dryer hook up in the house or something ?
I made this up...



Mostly cause I rent :(...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fourwd1 said:
The fact that you're asking says it all, get a pro before you electrocute yourself or burn down the house.
Well, I am an electrical engineer just never had to wire up anything for the house before. Was just going to pick up a book.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TacoDell said:
You don't have a dryer hook up in the house or something ?
I made this up...



Mostly cause I rent :(...
I do. I can't see the picture.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top