TTORA Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im buying an 86 4runner and Im aware some 1st gens came with "double DIN" width stereos from the factory. Im trying to buy a new stereo for her, and would prefer something made by toyota for a newer vehicle. All the aftermarket stuff just looks terrible and there are too many damn buttons and text on the face. The toyo factory stuff has always looked clean, easy to understand at a glance (which is important as you barrel down the hwy at 70) and function well.

Has anyone tried to install a newer toyo factory stereo in one of these older trucks? if its turns out to be impossible, does anyone know of any models with a 3.5mm stereo jack for plugging in mp3 players?

I realize this isnt offroad-related, but want to get decent tunes in my rig before I begin the buildup. Thanks fellas.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Factory stereos dont sound anywhere near as good as an aftermarket stereo. If you are really gung-ho, you can make any brand of auto-stereo fit in any kind of car. Its all the same when you just think of it as power/antenna/speaker wires.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Go with a double din aftermarket stereo. Those are much more clear and the buttons are bigger then the single din units. The connectors for a newer stereo wont fit, and it would be expensive to buy the connectors and wiring from the dealer to plug into the newer toyota radio.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts