TTORA Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 Taco with a stock system in it. Although not the best stereo when sitting around with your doors open I do think it sounds fine when driving, but still like most stock stereos the bottom end does tend to compress at higher volumes and like many I like to listen to things loud.

The thing is, after having replaced the stereo in every vehicle that I've ever owned I'm not so keen in cutting up the dash on this one.

So, in short... do you think the stock stereo will do allright with a better set of speakers, or would I largely be wasting my time/money?

· Registered
212 Posts
Why would you be cutting up your dash? I've installed aftermarket stereos in my Taco and they just slide right on in with the proper adapters.

Personally, I replaced the head unit and then the speakers. I would recommend doing both if you can.

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Voimakas said:
Why would you be cutting up your dash? I've installed aftermarket stereos in my Taco and they just slide right on in with the proper adapters.

Personally, I replaced the head unit and then the speakers. I would recommend doing both if you can.
I'm just tired of the look of aftermarket stereos in a dash that wasn't designed to hold them... even with the rather nice looking aftermarket bezzels that're available.

· truck ~n~ tow
13,614 Posts
ScreamingTaco said:
So, in short... do you think the stock stereo will do allright with a better set of speakers, or would I largely be wasting my time/money?
And a coupla' amps...

You'd be set

Most of us waste time/money... all of our lives :D

If it's something you would enjoy... and you have the funds...

Just do it... Life is only one go around

· Registered
2,155 Posts
There's no cutting up the dash involved. You get a replacement dash mount kit to house a single or double DIN head unit and still have a cut-out for your clock and hazards. Scosche even makes a dash kit that is color matched and has an identical texture and visual scheme.

Personally, I'm about to order an Alpine receiver from Crutchfield. Go there and you can enter what sort of vehicle you have. Pretend you're going to buy it and you'll probably find that a free dash mount kit and wire harness is given to you free. Unfortunately the dash mount kit is black.

If I were in your position (which I more or less am), I would get a new head and new speakers. I'm just getting the head first and the speakers second. You might need an amp, so YMMV.

Here's what Scosche makes:
Single DIN -

Double DIN -

Here's what you might get with Crutchfield (depending on what receiver you choose):

FYI, if you get a Scosche kit, be sure to shop around. Some places charge $50, but you can get it for $24.
If you go through Crutchfield, try and get a referral discount like I'm trying to do.

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gearbox said:
If I were in your position (which I more or less am), I would get a new head and new speakers. I'm just getting the head first and the speakers second. You might need an amp, so YMMV.
Cool. I might have to go that route, but seeing that Scosche kit makes it easier.

If I go that route I might even build a low profile sub box that sits on the floor in the rear... but I'll need another amp. I have a Fosgate Punch 600-A5 right now and it's too large to mount without loosing significant storage space behind the rear seats.

· Registered
7 Posts
I feel your pain. Recently purchased a 2004 pre-runner and facing the same dilemma.

From what I've heard and read, if you get a decent speaker with a lower RMS power rating, the low-output stock headend will be able to drive it alright and will definitely improve the sound quality of the stock speakers. But then if you ever want to upgrade to a higher powered amp, the speakers may be underrated and overpowered. But if you get higher rated speakers, the stock head will not be able to drive them sufficiently.

I am considering an entire system swap out but when I went to get the back panel off for the rear speakers, I just about decided to take it to circuit city or somewhere and just let them do it. The seat belt mechanisms make it seem impossible to get the panel off to get to the speakers. I'm afraid I'm going to irreversibly damage something.

· Registered
267 Posts
Very good advice^^^

Another option is to use line output converters (LOCs) or amps with speaker level inputs to give some good speakers the wattage they deserve. I ran the stock HU in my 04 with LOCs running a pair of amps, one for the sub, one for the front components. To me the biggest advantage's of the stock HU is the clean, stock appearance, the simple ergonimics and the stealth factor. Nobody would even guess I had any sound gear because it was all invisible. Sound quality was very good, but not very tuneable. I did get an improvement in sound quality when I got an Eclipse HU, but looking back I probably would have better overall sound if I had spent the HU money on a set of great front components.

Just wanted to point out that you can have really good sound with the stock HU.

One big advantage of an aftermarket HU is the ability to get a hidden sat radio tuner. I hated the plug and play unit I had, and the FM modulator was always picking up static. A hard wired sat tuner is much better sounding

· Registered
7 Posts
dlowe102 said:
thr pre 05 hu was way better...had my system wired to my 2000 hu and it kicked
Thanks for the encouraging news. After doing some more research, I think I'm giong to replace the stock spkrs first and see how it sounds. I'm looking on Crutchfield at the PioneerTS-A6871R. It seems to be a good fit for a stock HU. If it sounds OK I might just keep it.

BTW, does anyone know how to find the specs on the factory HU's? I'd like to know how much wattage it's putting out per channel but I can't find it anywhere. The number on it is A56815, if anyone has any info or suggestions.
:confused:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.