TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts
stick welders run pretty cheap, you could prob get a brand new one for around $200 maybe a bit more.

Also there is no description of the power output.

Can you stick weld? Much less weld at all?

Id go for a MIG machine. So easy a caveman could do it. :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hell, for 40 bucks you really can't go wrong, unless shipping will eat up some cash??? I have a MIG and a 225 amp stick machine. As stated above, MIG is the way to go, but stick is a lot of fun also. I find stick has it's advantages in certain cases. Big, thick material I go with the stick machine. Very long runs of bead I will sometimes go with stick. I just finished up building a tent stove. I MIG welded nearly the entire project except for the bottom piece. It required two runs of 24" bead. I broke out the stick machine for these two runs. That would have been a lot of wire and gas, but instead I burned maybe 6-8 rods and was done with it. I say figure out the amp rating on this machine and if it is in the range for you, buy it. Stick machines are pretty bullet-proof. I say you will want both a stick and a MIG if you really start to enjoy welding.....

Brent

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I agree that $40 bucks is cheap, $10-15 for a plug, $10 for some new rod and your good to go. A stick machine will do .120 1/8 as well as anything else, its a great structural, skidplate, slider, bracket making welder!

Hobart sells some 3/32 and 1/16 7018 rod that welds like butter although I admit to liking McKay rod better.

There really isn't much that can go wrong with SMAW welders. Its an older 80s looking Miller.

BTW I use a 25+ year old Miller MIG and on occasion 30+ year old Miller stick welder, other than replacing the whip and the leads they both work like the day they were purchased.

Wally

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
IMO save your money for a good MIG. Stick welds are OK, but you can't beat a MIG for fast, quality welds. Plus, I HATE chipping slag.:2cents:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts