TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am will be doing some welding this weekend on 2" and 1-1/2" sqaure tubing. The wall thickness will probably be .083 and/or .120. Does anyone see a problem with these wall thicknesses being too thin to use a stick welder with?

Any suggestions on rod size and amperage?

·
Registered
189 Posts
you can use a 7018 rod but use a rod smaller than 1/8 in. dia. run between 90 and 120 amps but definately play with the material and amperes before welding your finished product i.e test peices or (coupons) good luck, if none email me im a welder

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Man...I wish you would have chimed in a little earlier. I ended up using a 6013 rod 5/64." The hard part was when I welded the tubing to a 6X6X1/4" base plate. I am completely a weekend welder so what was happening was that the beads were simply rolling off the plate and burning thru the tube. So what I did was turn up the amps to about 72 amps and dragged the 1/4" plate to the tubing. The end product did not look that pretty, but it got the job done.

What I made was a rail for some stairs. And I did it for free so it did not have to be great looking. It just had to get the job done. But I will def. keep your pointer in mind for future reference.

·
Registered
189 Posts
sorry i didnt check this tread earlier too, i tell ya what it never matters what a weld looks like unless it will be visually inspected the bottom line is, if it wont brake under normal use then its fine, besides thats why we invented grinders :), yeah let me know if you ever need any help with welding im sure i could teach ya a few things

1 - 5 of 5 Posts