TTORA Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been lurking for the past few weeks.... and decided it was time for me to post. Also want to Say a hello nice to meet ya all.... anyhoo... here is my post...

I just purchased a 2000 Extended Cab TRD Taco with 53k on it and it came with a plow (paid 12,000 think i got a good deal). The plow is new and has only been used this season a few times for his driveway. I only plan on using the plow for my driveway and maybe a few friends and families. Nothing major. At some point in the semi-near future I am planning on lifting it. I'd like to do 6" lift but I may just start with a spacer lift for now. However... with this in mind when the Plow is on the front end sags quite a bit. I'd like to get stiffer springs to fix the sag. I was thinking maybe contacting Donahoe racing and see what he has to say. But I welcome any thoughts or ideas on the matter.

-Greg

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've got a plow on my old 89 toy. Plowing snow is actually a lot of fun. Before putting stiffer springs in you might want to search around on google for something called timbrens. It's like a progressive bumpstop. I know they make them for tacomas, but a few of my friends at work with identical half ton chevys, both have the same plow setup. One uses timbrens, the other doesn't. One of them sags about 3/4 of an inch when the plow is on, the other about 2 1/2 inches. I would also consider maybe going a little less radical with the lift if you want to keep the plow. My old 89 has about a 2 inch lift (add a leafs and cranked torsion bars) and 31's. Sometimes my plow doesn't like to "droop" enough even with this small amount of lift. The plow can be modified, but it's something to consider.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone here tried to plow with a 99-03ish 4 cyl Tacoma? I found a great deal on one and I was wondering if it would cut it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Timbrens work fine, but if you drive with the plow on much I would suggest what I did on my 98 before selling the plow. I bought the truck and it came with it. Before I knew it I was plowing like 30 driveways. I did not want that nor the wear and tear so it was sold. But I did however have a good set up for it. The Tundra Trd spring lift made it drive really nice, much better than the Timbrens. I had aal in the rear although If I were to do it again I would have gone Alcans in the rear. The real add a leaf was fine but Alcans I am sure would have been a much better choice just more expensive.

The ride with them in the daily commute isnt bad at all. Nothing I couldnt live with but I wanted more of a high speed set up so I just recently bought a coil over set up so my Tundra springs are coming off.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Talk about reviving an old thread..

They do make plows for the Tacoma but only an idiot would do it. A Tacoma is a compact light duty truck! Plowing is best suited for the HD trucks with thicker frames and beefier front suspension. Buy a 1 ton if you want to plow.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Yeah, it works for infrequent real light-duty plowing. I used to have a 97 reg cab 2.7L and plowed my CT 250' steep paved driveway with it. I used one of the uber-light SnowBear 6' plows. No hydraulics, electric winch for raise/lower and a manual latch for swinging it right and left.

Works fine if you go slow and keep up with any snowfall.

If you start trying to ram the heavy icy stuff you're going to bend/snap the frame of your truck really quickly.

The limiting factor isn't the 2.7 4cyl. The lightweight front frame rails will crumble long before you run out of power!

Get an old F-250/350 for real resedential plowing.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Yeah, it works for infrequent real light-duty plowing. I used to have a 97 reg cab 2.7L and plowed my CT 250' steep paved driveway with it. I used one of the uber-light SnowBear 6' plows. No hydraulics, electric winch for raise/lower and a manual latch for swinging it right and left.

Works fine if you go slow and keep up with any snowfall.

If you start trying to ram the heavy icy stuff you're going to bend/snap the frame of your truck really quickly.

The limiting factor isn't the 2.7 4cyl. The lightweight front frame rails will crumble long before you run out of power!

Get an old F-250/350 for real resedential plowing.

Well said. I agree with all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts