TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I want to put the 2.5 inches Rough-Country lift-kit on my 1997 V6 Tacoma but i doubt that the stock ball-joint will follow the road. Will it (the ball-joint) will be ok the let the Upper a-arm with the lift kit without binding the ball-joint in off-road condition?

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
Classydjo said:
Hi,
I want to put the 2.5 inches Rough-Country lift-kit on my 1997 V6 Tacoma but i doubt that the stock ball-joint will follow the road. Will it (the ball-joint) will be ok the let the Upper a-arm with the lift kit without binding the ball-joint in off-road condition?
No speeky no inglesh?

·
Registered
233 Posts
GOT COPE? said:
No speeky no inglesh?
I think he said something about his balls being rough with his upper arms.

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Rough Country 2.5" lift. Usually, Taco ball joints can hold up to 2.5" of lift on the street. They may wear faster in the long run than stock height ball joints, but they should hold up for the most part. However, anything more than 3" up front, and the upper ball joint is much more prone to breaking.

Now if the 2.5" lift is of the design that allows over-extension of the suspension during downtravel (wheel droop), then it is likely that the upper ball joint can be adversely affected while off-road unless a limiting strap is properly attached. On the street, it shouldn't be affected as much, though.

Hope this helps.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
Isn't the rough country a top load spacer?

If so, you can say bye bye to your ball joints (and your cv's as well)

If not, don't sweat it. I ran a 3" in my prerunner, and I now run a 2.6" lift using a SAW on my truck right now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
NorcalPR
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing