TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did my searching...asked no one...and tried it out. This thread is for all you people who don't search...or for those of you who do search.

Stock 4cyl 5-speed 1999 Toyota Tacoma w/ 4.10 gears
w/ 32x11.50-15 Dayton Timberline AT's
$299 brand new; mounted and balanced. Can't get much better then that!

No rubbing at all. I, obviously, haven't taken it off-road yet. I'm sure it will rub once that happens, but for everyday use it's completely perfect. I replaced some crappy 28"ish sized tires. I'm sure you can tell the difference.

Before I would hit 3,000rpm at 70mph on the interstate and it felt like i was using a ton of gas not to mention my engine was going to blow up when i tried to pass people. Now I cruise at 2,500rpm at 70mph and it is still very responsive.

Before:

They were like a pit crew there. Truck completely up on jack stands,hah:

After:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Haha, sweet. I've been debating putting some 32's on mine too, since I can get 4 brand new MT/R's for $400 from a buddy. Nice to know that they actually do fit with minimal rubbing.

·
Registered
264 Posts
With 4.10 gears your truck is suposed to have 31s not some 28ish. Did you buy it used becasue I bet the previous owner didn't want to spend a lot on tires and put 235/75/r15s to get by. Thats why your rpms where so hi. Looks good.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
It depends on your rims and actual tire. I've got 15's with 3.25 BS with 32's. With 2.5" of lift they rub sometimes at full turn.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had 31's stock and when I went up to 32's with no lift I had no rubbing problems either. I didn't feel much if any power loss either.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I bought it this summer. They threw those [email protected]$$ tires on there right before I went to purchase. I hated them with a passion. Loving the new 32's though!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Morristown, TN
Porter Tire
(423) 586-4870

·
Registered
773 Posts
roodki said:
Haha, sweet. I've been debating putting some 32's on mine too, since I can get 4 brand new MT/R's for $400 from a buddy. Nice to know that they actually do fit with minimal rubbing.
I think MT/R's will rub bad w/out a lift and at full lock. Even with my 2.5in coil-over's I get a little rub on the plastic fender liner when backing out of my drive way.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been around Tacomas for half a decade now and I've learned they are all different. You just don't know until you try whatever it is on for size. I'm a bit of a stubborn guy though in that the only shop I use lets me try my shoes on for size before I have to buy. I had a buddy with 3" of lift and 33 M/Ts on 15x8 wheels. The skinnier the wheel the less rubbing and the offset of the wheel makes all the difference in the world.

I have 207,000 miles on my tacoma with original coils and leaf packs. I'm sure you can imagine they have sagged a bit but I still clear 32's on stock wheels no problem. With my old tacoma lifted 6" I rubbed with 33's though, go figure.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
PowellTacoma said:
No rubbing at all. I, obviously, haven't taken it off-road yet. I'm sure it will rub once that happens,
It's obvious you haven't and Yes it will... But you could do the pinch weld mod and maybe get away with minimal rub... There's more for you to search for... ;)

There is a Tire/Wheel Folder BTW...
Or stick to the noob folder...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bet I've been around TTORA longer then you have sir. Please don't judge a book by its cover. Just because I don't post doesn't mean I lack knowledge.

I know you were just being sarcastic but I would like to point something out here...you don't take a truck with 207,000 miles off-road to find out if the 32" tires you put on will rub at full flex. Common sense will tell you that....I hope. I found a good deal on some nice tires that accent my truck. I did the whole "wheelin" thing with my last truck and I'm spent honestly. Now I just like to bask in the glory of what is Tacoma.

·
Registered
663 Posts
PowellTacoma said:
snip..you don't take a truck with 207,000 miles off-road to find out if the 32" tires you put on will rub at full flex. Common sense will tell you that....snip
Nope, you take it out and wheel the crap out of it without fear of breaking anything major like the other brands on the trail you're on. I speak from experience on this... :) trust me... :xrocker:

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
It's difficult to tell, but in these pics (from long ago) my truck was totally stock with
32 x 11.50 R15 Bridgestone Dueller M/T's on the stock 15 x 7 Toyota Alloys.

On the highway it was fine with very minimal rubbing. The only time it would rub was if I hit a bump while taking a sharp turn, for example, pulling into the gas station.

Off-Road they would rub pretty good. I put on a 3" lift just a couple of weeks after these pics were taken.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
PowellTacoma said:
I bet I've been around TTORA longer then you have sir. Please don't judge a book by its cover. Just because I don't post doesn't mean I lack knowledge.
Good for you... Then you should be a pro a posting in the proper folders by now... I didn't judge you in yer knowledge of mechanical genius or the lack of yer post count... But you posted this thread like a Noob in a less then appropriate folder...

Yer thread info has been covered countless times before... And only a noob wouldn't know that... Sorry... But yer thread is old news (and boring) and since you just slapped some tires on a stock (tired) truck... There's very little Tech to be learned from that... And nothing I see related to 4X...

"Sir" :rolleyes:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
TacoDell said:
Good for you... Then you should be a pro a posting in the proper folders by now... I didn't judge you in yer knowledge of mechanical genius or the lack of yer post count... But you posted this thread like a Noob in a less then appropriate folder...

Yer thread info has been covered countless times before... And only a noob wouldn't know that... Sorry... But yer thread is old news (and boring) and since you just slapped some tires on a stock (tired) truck... There's very little Tech to be learned from that... And nothing I see related to 4X...

"Sir" :rolleyes:
haha, okay

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
tacomarosa said:
damn. i wish i could buy gas where i am for $2.05.
That is a bit overpriced for this area, where are you and how much is gas there?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts