TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for the time being my truck has a set of c/o's and uca's on it. eventually i would like to LT it but that will probably be a while because of my lack of funds. The rear desperately needs some sort of improvement. I was curious how much better the 62" deavers perform compared to the stock length ones. I read the writeup on trails less traveled about how to get 14" of travel without going through the bed. Sounds like a good amount. Basically what i'm asking is, would i regret not going with the 62's once the front is built up? Also, what kind of final cost were most of you guys looking at to LT the rear?

thanks for any input

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
62's are a huge improvement. More so than upgrading to LT on the front. And yes, you will want to upgrade to 62's, the stock springs are shit, even with good shocks. It's not just the wheel travel you gain, the quality of the wheel travel is improved as well.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i know the stock springs are shit, every pothole on the road reminds me. I was wondering what people think about the stock length deavers as compared to the 62's. just curious on how much better the performance is.

·
Registered
233 Posts
night and day.........go with the 62's

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
62's it is! I had better start saving now. about how much that setup cost. i know total chaos sells everything you need as a package, but there is no price listed on the site. and on top of that i'd need to design some sort of bed cage to run shocks through the bed. I would like to be able to still get a dirtbike in the back of my truck. anyone running any bed cages that would allow this? i'm sure i could figure something out, but someone before me has surely perfected such a thing.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That kit seems pretty reasonably priced. So if i were to run a 12 inch shackle over the frame with the 11.5 inch arch would i be sittin about stock height? I know i got a lot of questions, but there is a lot i don't know. thanks for your patience.:D

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Yes, you want the F67 pack. And you can play with your shackle angle to get your desired ride height. That's one nice thing about having 12" shackles. Just remember though, the more horizontal you set the shackles up at bump (ie almost hitting the frame) the more droop travel you'll be able to get out of the springs.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, you want the F67 pack. And you can play with your shackle angle to get your desired ride height. That's one nice thing about having 12" shackles. Just remember though, the more horizontal you set the shackles up at bump (ie almost hitting the frame) the more droop travel you'll be able to get out of the springs.
Are hydro bumps a must have? I know they would be of great benefit, but i was thinking just running without them until i get more money. And what about limit straps. With an 18 inch travel shock am i going to need to limit the downtravel? If the shocks are mounted correctly i would think i could get them to work with around 20" of travel. But at the same time, the last thing i want to do is screw up 500 dollars in shocks.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
You don't need air bumps, a standard molded bump accomplishes the same thing. Limit straps are a good idea, but depending on your shock setup, you might not need them. Most people shoot for 18" of travel with deavers simply because it's a good idea to keep wheel travel and shock travel close if not the same. 20" can be done, but you will have a lot of negative arch at bump (bad for the springs) and you will probably need to take apart the clamps that keep the leaves from separating. Also you will have a less effective angle on the shocks.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fiberglass needed? I only got 275/70-16's on it. it's about a 31 inch tires. I guess in the rear glass is probably only needed to fit bigger tires with that extra travel. 31's should tuck ok right?

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Are hydro bumps a must have? I know they would be of great benefit, but i was thinking just running without them until i get more money. And what about limit straps. With an 18 inch travel shock am i going to need to limit the downtravel? If the shocks are mounted correctly i would think i could get them to work with around 20" of travel. But at the same time, the last thing i want to do is screw up 500 dollars in shocks.
No you don't need airbumps but I would run limit straps for sure. I'd strap it around 18" but would be VERY surprised if you get more than that. There's a lot of x-members and gas tank do-hickies that interfere with laying 18" shocks down unless you cut out and and re-do just about everything. A 1:1 working ratio is also preferred to get the most efficient use out of the shocks as possible. AKA the more vertical the better. And shocks are going to run you more than $500 just so you know...Even with my hook-up from Fox it was more than $500 for just my 18" 2.5" smoothies.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'd suggest keeping an eye out in the classifieds on here, dezertrangers.com, and race-dezert.com

You can sometimes get a great deal on some used shocks....fresh rebuild and it's as good as new....I scored a set of Fox 16"x2.5" 3-tube bypasses for $600....they just need a rebuild and one new shaft

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i'll keep an eye out. this project is gonna call for some bargain hunting.

·
Registered
133 Posts
link it......

No 62's is where its at. I have no regrets nor complaints....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts