TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the stock rear locker automatically turn off once you hit a certain speed? I forget about it all the time and don't notice the blinking red light until I'm doing 80mph on the highway.

-Seth

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
If the light is blinking it was never locked. You did not specify if you have a pre-runner or a 4x4. I will assume you have a 4x4 and if the locker is engaged it will not disengage at anyspeed..in 2 lo. If you take it out of two low and do not have a the grey wire grounded you will automaticly disengage the locker. If the grey wire is grounded you will have to push the button to disengage the locker. If that is the case or you drive a prerunner you were never going slow enough to prperly engage it *light solid*.

Enjoy the locker, you won't hurt it at speed but You would know it when you turn into a parking lot and slow down.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
seth_js said:
Does the stock rear locker automatically turn off once you hit a certain speed? I forget about it all the time and don't notice the blinking red light until I'm doing 80mph on the highway.

-Seth
unless you have done the grey wire mod the rear locker wont be engaged at 80mph, since it only will engage when you are in 4lo. If you locked it when in 4lo and then shifted into 2wd ( i assume since you are doing 80mph) the light will blink.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i dont have a locker so i havnt done too much research on it. but do a search youll find a lot. it is a mod that basicly makes it possible to engange your rear locker if you are in 4low, 4 hi, or 2wd. as you stated, you noticed your locker light blinking when you were doin 80 down the highway. that is because it disengages when you take it out of 4low. with this mod it will be in as long as you dont disengage it...no matter what drive range you are in.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
seth_js said:
Yeah, I'll engage it when in 4lo, and then forget about it and go back up to 4hi, and then eventually 2wd when back on the highway. So that won't do any damage to it? What is the grey wire mod?
I don't know of anyone who has actually broken one like that, but it is extra stress on the axle, which can't be a good thing and I couldn't tell you how much it might reduce the life of the axle (more stress = less fatigue life).

With the locker, it would be better to only engage it when you need it, and disengage it when you don't need it anymore - a couple of seconds later while you still remember.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If it were to stay locked the light would be on and you would have had to do the gray wire mod as previously stated. But I would think city driving with the locker on would be worse that 80 mph down the highway. Since you wouldn't be cornering on the highway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts