TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
04 4x4 with stock trd suspension. Will 16x8 wheels with 265/75/16 BFG MT work without problems. Anybody know where I could see pics of this setup.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You would be hard pressed not to rub. One of the senior guys is going to tell you to hammer the pinchweld and get rid of the mud flap.

My truck's height is not all that different than yours. I run 275/70/16 ( a rare size, but does not rub at all).

If you are going to lift it 2.5 to 3 "s 265/75/16 would be a great fit.

I am not an expert, but I do read the hell out of these posts.

My recomendation to you is this. If you do not want to lift your rig, but you want to go with the biggest tire size possible get 275/70/16 BF Goodrich All-terrains or Bridgestone Revos.

I have yet to find a mud tire in 265/70/16. If you are dead set on mud terrains, but do not want a lift your going to have to get something like a 245/75/16 or a 255/70/16.

You have a nice truck. Don't do anything half-ass like getting tires that are going to rub.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the reply...does your tire look all that much different than stock...i know is about 1/2 " wider but can you really tell a difference between what it looked like stock and now?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well I had bald tires when I bought the truck, so yes I can. The 275/70/16 is roughly a 7/10" bigger than the stock tires that came with it. That's almost 3 quarters of an inch. That's all she's gonna hold to without rubbing.

I am pleased with them. They will do just fine while I work to turn my rig into a respectable off-road rig.

I think it looks pretty good. It looks real tough having the white letters facing out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks! when you say bigger, you mean wider...right....it should be the same diameter as stock.

·
Registered
74 Posts
JustinT said:
04 4x4 with stock trd suspension. Will 16x8 wheels with 265/75/16 BFG MT work without problems. Anybody know where I could see pics of this setup.
Justin, your asking the same question I'm looking for an answer too also!

Most everyone I've spoken to seems to believe it won't rub. It's going to be about 3% taller and fractional wider, which is what I calculate will give me a more accurate reading at the speedo (currently it reads faster then I'm actually going...so I'm running up miles that aren't true). That's one of two reasons I'm considering it....the other reason is less practical and more astetic or cool factor. I've done raised trucks and just plain don't want to go that route again. If it turns out I would have to modify anything on the turd....I will just live with the stock set up. Hopefully we'll get more feedback from those who've actually done it and find out their experiences too.

·
Registered
132 Posts
my 275/70/16 is 31.3.

Just search some of the old posts Justin. It is time consuming, but you will see what the typical answer will be.

Hammer the pinchweld and take off the mudflap.

A good tire store should mount one on first and see how it is going to fit. Always do the front. You will come to find out that It will fit in the back, but not the front.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
4x4crazy12345 said:
my stock tires for my 2004 trd tacoma extra cab 100% stock are 265/75/r16 so why would they rub on his rig. I am just curious.
Stock tires are usually a 70, a 75 is an inch + bigger... and aftermarket wheels also come into play.

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
JustinT said:
I was going through the same problem as you when i needed tires so i decided to stick with stock. Unless you decide to lift your truck at least 2" front and rear then go with the 265/75's other than that stick with stock. In order to achieve that beefer look you have to lift your rig.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
4x4crazy12345 said:
my stock tires for my 2004 trd tacoma extra cab 100% stock are 265/75/r16 so why would they rub on his rig. I am just curious.
stock tire size on the gen 3 trucks is 265/70/16 (31x10.50) so if you have the 75s (32x10.50) then the dealer is playing games.

32s will rub w/o a lift. will they work? yes, but they will rub. If you don't mind the occasional sound effects it's not a problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had 16x8's with 4" BackSpacing and 265/75/16 BFG A/T's on my stock 01' TRD and they rubbed. I cut up the plastic inner fender and it helped a little bit, but still sounded horrible. Going over bumps and stuff SUCKED. I didn't pound my pinchweld, but from what I could see, the tires wer never rubbing on the pinchweld.

http://bcranger.homestead.com/files/wheelsS.JPG

BC

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
BC-33 said:
I had 16x8's with 4" BackSpacing and 265/75/16 BFG A/T's on my stock 01' TRD and they rubbed. I cut up the plastic inner fender and it helped a little bit, but still sounded horrible. Going over bumps and stuff SUCKED. I didn't pound my pinchweld, but from what I could see, the tires wer never rubbing on the pinchweld.

http://bcranger.homestead.com/files/wheelsS.JPG

BC
you probably would have been better off with OE rims. where on the inner fender did they rub?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I lifted it shortly after, so i only had to deal with the rubbing for a little bit (main reason why I didn't do a lot of cutting to the inner fender). It rubbed on the plastic part that covered the pinch weld. I hacked it off and it was all good unless i was at full lock or had the wheel's turned while going over a bump. I think with stock backspacing It wouldn't have rubbed much if any at all.

BC

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts
JustinT said:
My buddy rubs slightly in the front w/ that setup. Very slightly. A 1" sapcer or pinch weld mod would take car of it.

FYI: He's got an '03 TRD xcab with 265/75/16 BFG AT's. No lift.

·
Registered
74 Posts
GOT COPE? said:
My buddy rubs slightly in the front w/ that setup. Very slightly. A 1" sapcer or pinch weld mod would take car of it.

FYI: He's got an '03 TRD xcab with 265/75/16 BFG AT's. No lift.
Okay....I'm watching all the posts on this and now wondering if there is an issue of the 265 X 75 X 16 and the offset of the wheel you mount them on. Am I misunderstanding what some of you are saying? I hear that for some of you say that size rubs....so my question is, will a different offset solve "the staying with stock height" problem....or is the only way to make them work, is to either add wheel spacers or a lift kit? And is it really unanumous that this size rubs unless you do one of those? :(

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
ToyoTaco said:
Okay....I'm watching all the posts on this and now wondering if there is an issue of the 265 X 75 X 16 and the offset of the wheel you mount them on. Am I misunderstanding what some of you are saying? I hear that for some of you say that size rubs....so my question is, will a different offset solve "the staying with stock height" problem....or is the only way to make them work, is to either add wheel spacers or a lift kit? And is it really unanumous that this size rubs unless you do one of those? :(
all of the 32s will rub w/o a lift. period. But you can minimize that by sticking with OE rims with their 4.5" of backspacing or going to 8" rims with the same 4.5". The 265/75s are the same width as stock so if you put them on rims with less backspacing they will stick out further and rub more.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts