TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Wasn't aware that UCA's had seals, you mean the upper ball joint boot?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wasn't aware that UCA's had seals, you mean the upper ball joint boot?
Yeah, maybe that's it.....Upper Ball Joint Boot. Do you think this will be problematic if I don't get it fixed soon?

·
Registered
252 Posts
From the picture it looks fine, are you saying there's some grease coming out of the boot to the upper ball joint? or is the boot torn/ripped?

If it's torn I would replace the boot. The less dirt and such that gets into the ball joint the better. Also a sealed boot allows the grease to last longer. If you replace the boots make sure to clean off the old grease and pack more.

I'm guessing there's dirty grease collecting around the top of the spindle. If it's bugging you it wouldn't hurt to clean off the joint, replace the boots, and repack with grease, that is if you can find just the boot, grease and lock wire set without the ball joints. If you can manage to get the boots off without mangling them (it's pretty easy) you can get stainless lock wire and grease pretty cheap.

·
Registered
715 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Go back and tell them they are full of shit. That part no. works on any pre05+ Tacomas. They all have the same ball joints upper and lower.

·
Administrator
18,267 Posts
Is the boot torn or is it just seeping past the seals? All the stock ball joints leech some grease around the ends of the seals. But if you start to get little globs of grease coming out, then you have a hole in the boot. If you replace the boot in a timely manner, then you can save the ball joint. Wait too long and let the BJ dry out, it will wear down and need to be replaced.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have to instect the Seals more closely to determine if they need replacing I guess. All I know is that it looks like the UCA is wet or was wet and is drying but retains that look and never dries. This is what led me to believe they were leaking in the first place.

The Stealership wants:

- Upper Ball Joint $58.70 + Tax
- Boo Replacement Kit $14.91 + Tax

I'm hoping that it's just the boots if anything.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
It's $6.48 for the boot kit and $30.95 through ToyotaPartsZone and many of the other online Toyota parts vendors.

Boot: http://www.toyotapartszone.com/oem/toyota~cover~front~upper~ball~joint~dust~rh~43324-39015.html

Joint: http://www.toyotapartszone.com/oem/toyota~joint~assy~front~upper~ball~lh~43310-39016.html

I have to instect the Seals more closely to determine if they need replacing I guess. All I know is that it looks like the UCA is wet or was wet and is drying but retains that look and never dries. This is what led me to believe they were leaking in the first place.

The Stealership wants:

- Upper Ball Joint $58.70 + Tax
- Boo Replacement Kit $14.91 + Tax

I'm hoping that it's just the boots if anything.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks man.

On a side note, I've been checking out your Colorado Expedition adventures via the link in your signature and can't stop looking at it while I'm at work. I want to go do that so badly...

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1 - 16 of 16 Posts