TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. So watching the new season of Storm Chasers on Discovery and I have found my life calling once I win the lottery. :D

But the rigs they have built could be so much better. So I have begun planning my own Tornado Intercept Vehicle. My ideas are in there infancy right now so I am wondering how you guys would build a TIV.

Here is what I am thinking. I know it needs weight so I am thinking an entire tube frame on a set of portal axles with of course thick steel shieldling and bullet proof (or hail proof glass). Or since they need to travel down dirt roads at high speeds would it be better to run a baja set up only way over built to handle the weight. Suspension should be hydraulic allowing it to be lowered completely to the ground during an intercept. Instead of claws a set of hydraulic rams or drills to drill down into the ground to hold it steady. Drive train would have to be something reliable and super strong. Turbo Diesel? The new TIV has dual rear axles. Do you really think that is needed? They chose a GMC frame with GMC corporate axles. So far they have busted the axle tubes twice. Need something stronger.

I could go on and on but I just want to get the conversation started.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Never seen the show, but I doubt they have much need for rockcrawler-style rigs. Not much tornado activity in the mountains. :D Do they get buffeted around a lot by winds, hence the needed weight? I would lean toward a high-speed prerunner or baja setup, personally, for hauling ass away from huge deadly storms. ;)

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rockcrawler no but the strength and weight of a tube frame would be nice. I am thinking the suspension travel would be more upward then downward so as to be able to lower the truck to the ground via airbags or hydraulic suspension. The idea right now is to get into the middle of a tornado to collect much needed data and for one of the guys on the show to film the inside of a tornado in IMAX film for a future production he is creating. Need about 16k pounds to hopefully withstand an F5 tornado (strongest with winds in excess of 200mph) although the theory is still untested. :eek:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Pretty sure houses and trailers weigh a lot more than 16K pounds, and they get blown away all the damn time.

Apparently I am not cut out for storm chasing. ;)

·
20,355 Posts
X2, i dont think you would be able to really build a truck heavy enough not to get blown away

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You have to understand we are talking about thick dense metal not held together with glue and nails. While houses get blown away in pieces the tornado cannot pick up entire one piece objects (this large). Also the reason I am considering the large drills. What I am thinking is like a post hole bit that will go down into the ground and hold on a bit more.

2nd gen 4Runner :rofl: That's funny.

But I did consider this last night. This rig would be driven on state and local highways and roads. So it has to be street legal with a VIN and licensed. So that kind of shoots a tube frame. I have to start with an existing, street legal frame. Tundra? No probably heavier. I was thinking of using a semi truck but I would want to lower the overall profile of the truck and not be sitting so high up on top. But I don't think any of them are 6 wheel drive except for current military vehicles.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
You might want to talk to Richard Heene, he was a storm chaser in a previous life. He may have some ideas for you. Oh wait.......aliens have taken over his head, he builds tin foil balloons that look like ufo's now.:D:lmao:

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
I too like that show! Portal axles with semi air bags are intriguing (Look up 4Mogger on the interwebs and you'll find his 2nd gen runner with that exact set up!)

What about something like a military vehicle to start with? I mean that's kinda what their current one looks like an MWRAP without the guns!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Start off with a Dodge diesel. Two Dana 80 dually axles in the rear for weight support, 60 in the front. Suspension doesn't need a lot of travel, so a typical airbag setup would work. Then LOTS of plate all welded on at an angle. It really wouldn't be that hard of a built, just very costly. I can't believe how cobbled together the TIVV is. They wouldn't be having the breakage issues they are if it were built properly. I haven't really seen the TIVV2 yet.

·
Registered
878 Posts
OK. So watching the new season of Storm Chasers on Discovery and I have found my life calling once I win the lottery. :D

But the rigs they have built could be so much better. So I have begun planning my own Tornado Intercept Vehicle. My ideas are in there infancy right now so I am wondering how you guys would build a TIV.

Here is what I am thinking. I know it needs weight so I am thinking an entire tube frame on a set of portal axles with of course thick steel shieldling and bullet proof (or hail proof glass). Or since they need to travel down dirt roads at high speeds would it be better to run a baja set up only way over built to handle the weight. Suspension should be hydraulic allowing it to be lowered completely to the ground during an intercept. Instead of claws a set of hydraulic rams or drills to drill down into the ground to hold it steady. Drive train would have to be something reliable and super strong. Turbo Diesel? The new TIV has dual rear axles. Do you really think that is needed? They chose a GMC frame with GMC corporate axles. So far they have busted the axle tubes twice. Need something stronger.

I could go on and on but I just want to get the conversation started.
TIV 2 had a lot of work done at ATS Diesel Performance in Arvada ... it takes big power to move a heavy vehicle and big bucks to work out the kinks.

I don't think there is any right way to build a TIV ... it is an exercise in futility. Well at least until if/when someone gets footage or data that pays for the exercise?!

I mean you can spend hundreds of thousands, trying to anticipate every need for tornado intercepting ...and then some a* in a plain old rusty Ford (TIV is based on a F-450) or a Toyota PU succeeds in doing the same thing you are trying to do with out death or dismemberment! LOL!

BTW have you seen the TV-1 (tornado attack vehicle)
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.10/attack.html
pretty much what you described huh?!

·
Registered
2,214 Posts

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
I've always wondered how a tracked vehicle would rock crawl... As many youtube videos from the east coast or where ever go, they don't have much of an idea what wheeling really is, so we just see it go over little mole hills and puddles in the field. BFD.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Start off with a Dodge diesel. Two Dana 80 dually axles in the rear for weight support, 60 in the front. Suspension doesn't need a lot of travel, so a typical airbag setup would work. Then LOTS of plate all welded on at an angle. It really wouldn't be that hard of a built, just very costly. I can't believe how cobbled together the TIVV is. They wouldn't be having the breakage issues they are if it were built properly. I haven't really seen the TIVV2 yet.
You haven't seen TIV2 yet because the damn thing keeps breaking down. I saw in only 2 episodes last year and it is still in the shop this year. Hence the reason they are back in the Ford F-450. Your idea is where I was going and similar to what TIV is like but like you said it would be better with some quality work and thought put into it.

TIV 2 had a lot of work done at ATS Diesel Performance in Arvada ... it takes big power to move a heavy vehicle and big bucks to work out the kinks.

I don't think there is any right way to build a TIV ... it is an exercise in futility. Well at least until if/when someone gets footage or data that pays for the exercise?!

I mean you can spend hundreds of thousands, trying to anticipate every need for tornado intercepting ...and then some a* in a plain old rusty Ford (TIV is based on a F-450) or a Toyota PU succeeds in doing the same thing you are trying to do with out death or dismemberment! LOL!

BTW have you seen the TV-1 (tornado attack vehicle)
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.10/attack.html
pretty much what you described huh?!
Yep that would be about what I am thinking only it looks way too light. But of course looks are deceiving and that price tag is why I need to win the lottery first. :D

Eric I like this one but it would still need some mods. Good start through.

I don't know I think suspension and some flex would be needed. Due to the fact that quite often these guys slide off the road into ditches and I would like to be able to get out and back on the road on my own. :D

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You might want to talk to Richard Heene, he was a storm chaser in a previous life. He may have some ideas for you. Oh wait.......aliens have taken over his head, he builds tin foil balloons that look like ufo's now.:D:lmao:
Damn always a critic in the bunch. :D

This will be a serious thread once I win the lottery. :)

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
X2, i dont think you would be able to really build a truck heavy enough not to get blown away
Actually you can. A tornado is so damaging on most items due to the fact that it gets it's high speed winds inside a house or through air space in a window and door and then blows it apart. If you put 16,000 pounds of steel together on the ground with an almost completely air tight interior then drop it all the way to the ground so the tornado cannot grab it from underneath it will stay there. Or at least that is the theory. I think it would work.

Plus when the world comes to an end I will have a multi purpose ready to go Mad Max rig to put skulls and bones on.:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts