TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So about a month or two ago... i was getting mail and drove through a snow bank to get to the box. So im driving down the road and get to the bottom of the hill and ive got this pulsating, jerking motion when i slow down. I could see the front end of the truck hopping up and down. So i just figure i got some shit in the caliper. After that, i didnt have a problem.

Now a few weeks ago, it starts happening again. But now theres a wierd sound, like a 'wahwahwah' (sounds like really agressive mud tires on the highway) when im driving. Its a constant noise, doesnt matter what the rpms are or what the speed is. Seems like its comming from the front end, and theres a little vibration in the floor boards. But it goes away at about 20 and then the vibration and what not comes back. Feels like im driving down a dirt road, eventhough its smooth and newly paved.

My brother drove the truck the other day and said it sounded like u-joints. So i looked under the truck and they seem fine. But the carrier bearing has some play in it and im not sure if its supposed to.

So anyone have any ideas what i could be? Could it be as simple as an allignment? Or is it something more serious that would take lots of $$$$?

Oh, and the trucks an '00 xtra cab, auto with the 3.4

Thanks,
John

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
How many miles are on the truck?

If you can jack the truck up and put it on jack stands to secure it. Grab a hold of the wheel and see if you have any play. try and turn it and see how much play you have, Spin it to see if you hear any unusual sounds. Check and make sure the steering rack is not loose. Check you CV's. Inspect the brakes. Stuff like that. Then tell us what you find.

If you have too many miles on your truck (100k+) then you probably should change the center bearing anyways cause it shouldn't have any play in it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i had the same problem. thought it was in the front end till my coworker said it was the ujoints. double checked it again and my center bearing is shot. the damn axle is dancing like a mofo in there.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys... just ordered a new bearing from napa today.

John

·
Registered
52 Posts
just wondering. i've replaced my center support bearing and didn't torque that big bolt to specs, i just used the impact wrench because i couldn't figure out a way to hold the flange without putting to much stress on the new support bearing. it said you supposed to torque it to 134ft. lbs, then loosen one rotation, and then torque it to 60ft. lbs.

is there any detrimental effects if i didn't torque it to specs??

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
i don't what exactly it will do. But I would think that by doing that then you will be putting to much pressure on to the bearing and causing it burn up faster.

You didn't torque it at all?

The 134ft/lbs is to push the bearing up onto the shaft in the proper location, then the 60ft/lbs is what it should be torqued to for the bearing preload. 60 should be easy to get just with someone holding the shaft or bolting the shaft back up to the truck and letting the transmission hold it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts