TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For sometime now I have been hearing this echo sound that rises in noise with RPM. At first I thought it was the exhaust… However, I have been noticed my A/C has been getting warmer and warmer… and that it usually only happens on hot days that the noise comes on. Well yesterday while driving south of Sacramento I had my A/C on full blast trying to get some cold air if possible and the needle on the temp hit close to the red zone. First ever it has happened. I immediately knew that somehow this was tied to my problem. I quickly turned on the heat full blast and opened my windows. It went down. I still can drive with the A/C off and the heat temp stays in the middle. I called up a Toyota Dealer and they said it could be the water pump and/or bearing in it or the A/C compressor. My radiator seems fine as the plastic coolant box next to it has coolant in it and I have not been leaking any. Any ideas? I only have 63k miles so I am confused as to why this is happening. It will probably cost me $500-800…

·
Registered
773 Posts
For sometime now I have been hearing this echo sound that rises in noise with RPM. At first I thought it was the exhaust… However, I have been noticed my A/C has been getting warmer and warmer… and that it usually only happens on hot days that the noise comes on. Well yesterday while driving south of Sacramento I had my A/C on full blast trying to get some cold air if possible and the needle on the temp hit close to the red zone. First ever it has happened. I immediately knew that somehow this was tied to my problem. I quickly turned on the heat full blast and opened my windows. It went down. I still can drive with the A/C off and the heat temp stays in the middle. I called up a Toyota Dealer and they said it could be the water pump and/or bearing in it or the A/C compressor. My radiator seems fine as the plastic coolant box next to it has coolant in it and I have not been leaking any. Any ideas? I only have 63k miles so I am confused as to why this is happening. It will probably cost me $500-800…

Probably the fan clutch. Do a search on "Fan Clutch".

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ok I think I know what is wrong. Toyota doesn't just break down at 63k. I wouldn't own one if they did that... The fan clutch seems fine as I can move it without any resistance. I just now checked out the inside of the radiator where the fan is blowing and it has mud. The front was easy to hose off from my last mudding experience, but the interior never really got cleaned. This was back when it was winter so obviously my A/C worked when it got a little warm, but not too warm. This explains why the A/C works for a while and then grows warmer... The noise I hear is probably the fan working harder or something. I guess the only answer is to hose the radiator off really good without getting water on the alternator and see if this solves my problem. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Ok I think I know what is wrong. Toyota doesn't just break down at 63k. I wouldn't own one if they did that... The fan clutch seems fine as I can move it without any resistance. I just now checked out the engine side of the radiator where the fan is blowing and it has mud. The front was easy to hose off from my last mudding experience, but the interior never really got cleaned. This was back when it was winter so obviously my A/C worked when it got a little warm, but not too warm. This explains why the A/C works for a while and then grows warmer... The noise I hear is probably the fan working harder or something. I guess the only answer is to hose the radiator off really good without getting water on the alternator and see if this solves my problem. Any other suggestions?
Don't worry about getting water on the alternator, but make sure you avoid spraying near your spark plugs, water likes to get under the rubber tops and pool at the bottom grounding out your spark plugs, then it would leave you diagnosing another problem.

·
Registered
76 Posts
i was going to suggest power washing the condensor, but it sounds like you found the problem.

usually the problem you dicribed would indacate an airflow problem. just hosing it off should cure it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the correction. I had to replace the alternator when I last went mudding, but that is because of the mud not the water I imagine? I will be careful with the spark plugs. I just hope the water will remove the mud. There isn't a lot, but the aluminum holes seemed plugged thus not allowing heat dissapation. I am glad I check instead of paying the dealer to fix my problem in 5 mins and charging me a million dollars. I will try and locate the condenser too.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
The fan clutch seems fine as I can move it without any resistance. I guess the only answer is to hose the radiator off really good without getting water on the alternator and see if this solves my problem. Any other suggestions?
The fan clutch should have some resistance to it after the engine is warm. It should not spin more than a couple of times after shutting a warm engine off. If it keeps spinning the fan clutch is bad. I would first take a hose and spray the radiator from the inside of the engine compartment towards the front of the truck(reverse of the airflow) for a while and let it soak to loosen up any dried and really stuck mud then do it again till the water is clear. The radiator clogged with mud could also prevent the fan clutch from engaging properly so check it again after cleaning the radiator.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am going to call up my dealer and bitch at them for not properly cleaning my truck. That's what they get paid for. They were supposed to do a good job on my last 15k service. I am going to hose it as soon as I get my lunch break at 12. I live close to work :) CA is a bad place without AC:mad:

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I am going to call up my dealer and bitch at them for not properly cleaning my truck. That's what they get paid for. They were supposed to do a good job on my last 15k service. I am going to hose it as soon as I get my lunch break at 12. I live close to work :) CA is a bad place without AC:mad:
thats not their problem that you go mudding...

they aren't supposed to think, "oh... this guy goes mudding lets spend an hour hosing out his radiator" :rolleyes:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually, I paid them extra to detail the truck after they were finished doing my 15k service. That is the reason I expected more out of them. They said they would clean it very well as well as get rid of all the mud in the engine bay. I explicitly remember asking them if the radiator was clean. When someone promises to do something right, it is only fair to expect that from them? I guess I need to properly inspect my vehicle after the job is done, this would have been my fault. A good mechanic would have said "Gee maybe during the summer his truck will heat up if I don't properly clean the radiator..."

·
Registered
597 Posts
Thanks for the correction. I had to replace the alternator when I last went mudding, but that is because of the mud not the water I imagine? I will be careful with the spark plugs. I just hope the water will remove the mud. There isn't a lot, but the aluminum holes seemed plugged thus not allowing heat dissapation. I am glad I check instead of paying the dealer to fix my problem in 5 mins and charging me a million dollars. I will try and locate the condenser too.
yes, mud is evil

Luckily, I learned this with previous vehicles, in my tacoma, I avoid mud if possible.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Yes mud is bad, stay away from mud.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Actually, I paid them extra to detail the truck after they were finished doing my 15k service. That is the reason I expected more out of them. They said they would clean it very well as well as get rid of all the mud in the engine bay. I explicitly remember asking them if the radiator was clean. When someone promises to do something right, it is only fair to expect that from them? I guess I need to properly inspect my vehicle after the job is done, this would have been my fault. A good mechanic would have said "Gee maybe during the summer his truck will heat up if I don't properly clean the radiator..."
Welcome to the real world where if you want something done right you do it yourself. A 15k service was what an oil change and rotate the tires? The guy who cleaned your truck was probably
not an ase certified car wash technician. If you want to splash around in the mud then you better learn to clean it up afterwards yourself or check up on the half assed car wash boy at the dealer to make sure he did it for you.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
No kidding haha. Anyway the service consists of flushing the transmission and clean synthetic oil same with my engine, rotating tires, topping off fluids etc...

Well I cleaned the mud I saw on the engine side of the radiator and my A/C is running good, I still hear a slight noise, but nowhere as bad as before. I also tried to spin the fan and yes there is resistance, it doesnt spin around in circles forever without stopping, it goes about 4-5" and stops. Hopefully I have solved my problem, only hotter weather will tell me how well everything is holding up. Thanks for the replies guys.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are you supposed to hear the a noise when you turn on the A/C coming from the engine bay? I hear a sudden jolt as if the A/C compressor or something is kicking on, but it doesn't seem right?

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Are you supposed to hear the a noise when you turn on the A/C coming from the engine bay? I hear a sudden jolt as if the A/C compressor or something is kicking on, but it doesn't seem right?
a/c idler prob. has mud in it..

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Based on your mudding experience, what do you suggest? I would rather not spend hundreds of dollars at the dealer...

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Based on your mudding experience, what do you suggest? I would rather not spend hundreds of dollars at the dealer...
get under there and listen.. if that is whats wrong its a 40$ part that takes 30 mins to install...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yeah, I always hear a clunky noise, with a mild jolt when the Tacoma's AC compressor clutch kicks in. The noise I hear no matter whether I'm idling or driving, and the jolt (which is the result of robbing power suddenly from the engine via the accessory belt) is usually more likely to be noticed at lower driving speeds (city driving, under moderate acceleration). All of my Tacos (4) have been the same.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts