TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wifes 2000 4-runner has started making funny sounds. When you are cruising down the street it sounds like metal to metal friction ( squeeking sound) coming from whe seems like the front end :confused:

It only makes the sound when you are applying gas...as soon as you let off the gas the noise stops......any takers on what this might be??

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is some vibration when braking, that may be a warped rotor......I was thinking that it might be a u-joint but not sure.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hey Anthony,

First thought are brakes, wear indicators maybe? Is is a constant squeal/squeak, or squeak....squeak.... squeak.... How old are the pads, still look okay?

You've ruled out pulleys, exhaust? Since you know you want to crawl under the 4r, then check u-joints and grease them up real good. Then try.

Life insurance up to date? Go stand by the street and have her drive by slowly. It's sometimes easier to locate the source outside the vehicle, just don't walk infront :D

Hopefully nothing serious. Tell her she should just sell it to me when I come back out there this Spring. Monopoly money works, right?

Hopefully I haven't helped at all, Jason

·
Registered
533 Posts
Does the noise seem less when you are in 4 wheel drive and hit the gas?

If yes I would say bad u joint. Sometimes when the front pulls its share of the weight you notice less noise/vibration from the rear driveline.

Have you recently greased all the u joints?

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
007 said:
Does the noise seem less when you are in 4 wheel drive and hit the gas?

If yes I would say bad u joint. Sometimes when the front pulls its share of the weight you notice less noise/vibration from the rear driveline.

Have you recently greased all the u joints?
She hasnt tryed driving it on the streets in 4wd.....shoot I think shes only had that thing in 4wd like twice the past few years :lmao:

The truck was recently serviced and all the zerks where supposed to be greased and the problem is still there.......its really odd because I have been under her truck numerous times and havent seen anything out of the ordinary.

Could be the timing belt or maybe a bad pulley or something?

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
KSdblcab said:
Hey Anthony,

First thought are brakes, wear indicators maybe? Is is a constant squeal/squeak, or squeak....squeak.... squeak.... How old are the pads, still look okay?

You've ruled out pulleys, exhaust? Since you know you want to crawl under the 4r, then check u-joints and grease them up real good. Then try.

Life insurance up to date? Go stand by the street and have her drive by slowly. It's sometimes easier to locate the source outside the vehicle, just don't walk infront :D

Hopefully nothing serious. Tell her she should just sell it to me when I come back out there this Spring. Monopoly money works, right?

Hopefully I haven't helped at all, Jason
Hey man what have you been up to lately...you staying out of trouble?!? I just changed the pads in the front so its definetely not that.

I guess we better hurry up and fix her chit so we can all have the suicidal pleasure of going the wrong way down that one way street again haaahaha

·
Registered
203 Posts
Davis3000 said:
I guess we better hurry up and fix her chit so we can all have the suicidal pleasure of going the wrong way down that one way street again haaahaha
Yeah, but you won't get that view on the tour bus. :D

I've been doing a lot of research, learning, and training under new title, but I love it. Plus having nights, holidays, and weekends off rules! Lot of traveling planned for this year, just for work, but we'll be in SF again same time. Plan your evac now mister!

Think you venture all the way out to TO? I hope to squeeze that in also.

Back to your issue, it could be a pulley. Those squeaks are hard to isolate, but I don't recommend going down the street with the hood up, sitting in the engine bay. Especially the wrong way!

Later, Jason

1 - 13 of 13 Posts