TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stripped my oil pan bolt the other day on my 98 Tacoma(4x4 2.7 5spd)... WTF!!Don't touch tools after 1/2 doz.cold ones! I went the wrong way and think I broke the weld on the nut inside the pan.Luckily it is not leaking,but won't loosen or tighten.Is there any way to fix this without taking the pan off?It looks like the front diff has to come out to do this.Is it possible make another hole in the pan,weld a nut on the outside or something like that?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I stripped my oil pan bolt the other day on my 98 Tacoma(4x4 2.7 5spd)... WTF!!Don't touch tools after 1/2 doz.cold ones! I went the wrong way and think I broke the weld on the nut inside the pan.Luckily it is not leaking,but won't loosen or tighten.Is there any way to fix this without taking the pan off?It looks like the front diff has to come out to do this.Is it possible make another hole in the pan,weld a nut on the outside or something like that?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You're going to have to drop the pan to fix it right. You can't drill a new hole from the outside because the metal shavings from the pan will find it's way into your motor. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,955 Posts
Most of the time it strips the threads and they stick to the drain plug.
you can pry against the drain plug while trying to loosen it.
then Heli-coil the threads or get an oversize drain plug

·
Premium Member
5,955 Posts
We usually have one or two a week on the Express lube.
Only two of us in the shop do the Heli-coil.
$200.00 -$500.00 for an oil change???? people get pretty Pissed!:)
Yeah right!!
I'ts easy to do the Heli-coils ...eeeaasy on their wallets.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts