TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone enlighten me to somewhere I could find an upgrade for the tacoma CV axles. I saw something somewhere about this a while back but can't find it again. Someone has to make something stonger for the 7.5" than the weak things that seem to last only a month in my truck. Yes, I would like to SAS, but that isn't an option......for now

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
you can try CV unlimited, i have heard they make some beefy ones. but you gotta think if the cv is so beefy that the diff goes before the cv your gonna be out alot more money....

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
you can try CV unlimited, i have heard they make some beefy ones. but you gotta think if the cv is so beefy that the diff goes before the cv your gonna be out alot more money....
Search. The only thing stonger is CV Unlimited shafts, but they aren't cheap.
x2

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
x 5, ive never broken a cv, but i managed to break my diff. drive smarter if you keep breaking them

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess I'll just be forking out the hundred bucks each time. In light of the replies to this post, I have convinced myself that it is probably not the worst thing to happen. Autozone needs to make me some CVS WITH A LIFETIME WARRANTEE. That would be sweet. almost everything I have had to repllace became a lifetime warrantee replacement from them and I love it (pwr steering pump, alt, starter, steering rack). I know they are loosing money on me. I have gone through 3 starters and 3 racks already and I plan on having this truck for many more years. Another deal of a lifetime is the lifetime alignment from Tire Kingdom they offered a while back. I have been in that place so much that I could see the disgust on their face every time I pull up. I think it is people like me that has made them do away with that deal.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In response to Drobnor's sig:
THE VANDALS LYRICS

"Power Mustache"

Mustache is a symbol of repression and of hate
Never trust a man with a butt broom on his face
It's the facial marking of the man who holds you down
The source of all your problems, every city, every town
Stalin, Hitler, Schneider, just to name a few
got to kill the mustache before it grows on you

Fight! The mustache power! [x3]
Fight! Fight! Fight!

Mustache is authority
The world is run by assholes
They try to run our lives from their golden mustache castles
The Dark Prince was a nazi, his mustache true to form
instead of arm- band swastikas, mouse ears must be worn

He terminates employees with the hair above his lip
cuz in the Fuhrer's kingdom it's dictatorship
We should take his frozen corpse and shave his fascist face
and make the magic kingdom a truly happy place

Fight! The mustache power! [x3]
Fight! Fight! Fight!

Pigs across the nation dressed in uniform
with their gun and badges, a mustache must be worn
they beat the population with their clubs inflicting pain
with mustache anonymity, they all look the same

we must join together till the mustache is removed
and then we'll have a party with beer and chicks and food.

Fight the power!
Fight the power mustache!
Fight the power!
Fight the power mustache!

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
I guess I'll just be forking out the hundred bucks each time. In light of the replies to this post, I have convinced myself that it is probably not the worst thing to happen. Autozone needs to make me some CVS WITH A LIFETIME WARRANTEE. That would be sweet. almost everything I have had to repllace became a lifetime warrantee replacement from them and I love it (pwr steering pump, alt, starter, steering rack). I know they are loosing money on me. I have gone through 3 starters and 3 racks already and I plan on having this truck for many more years. Another deal of a lifetime is the lifetime alignment from Tire Kingdom they offered a while back. I have been in that place so much that I could see the disgust on their face every time I pull up. I think it is people like me that has made them do away with that deal.
geeze, that's a lot of busted parts:eek: what the heck do you do to that poor truck? LOL

on the axles:
CV Unlimited has good axles but only the outer joint has been beefed up; the rest of the thing is stock, ie, the shaft and the inner tripod. Their hi-angle boots are probably the best on the market at the moment, however. $500/pr

ORS has brand new beefed up axles from aroung $600/pr and nothing on them is stock.

next will be Porche 930 Turbo axles that have been adapted for the Taco. Last I heard they have come down to around $1500/pr

but, as suggested...when you beef up the CVs your diff becomes the weak link ;)

find another supplier of reman CVs that carry a lifetime warranty and go that route.

are you locked up front? if so, which?

·
Registered
870 Posts
x2 as well.. id rather blow a 100$ vatozone cv with an unlimited warranty than my 900$ arb
ive seen how they torture ARB's, its kinda sadistic, i highly doubt your arb will break before the cv no matter what it is, ive seen 30+ spline rear shafts(both in toyota and others) go before the an arb....rest assured

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Florida Swamp mud tears some sh*t up. We go on some rides around here when sometimes a full mile of the trail you don't see any dry land (I'm not a big fan of the water). That dirty water wears bearings and gets into places you'd never imagine it would.
I always keep an exta CV on hand for the occasions that I decide to bust one out on the trail.
If someone knows of a place that has lifetime warrantees I CVs, I'd like to know.
I have a lockrite up front. I know I haven't busted it yet because I have my CVs sacraficing themselves all the time.
It is not that I care to change the CVs out all the time (its easy), I'm just sick of spending money

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
ive seen how they torture ARB's, its kinda sadistic, i highly doubt your arb will break before the cv no matter what it is, ive seen 30+ spline rear shafts(both in toyota and others) go before the an arb....rest assured

fer sure. there ain't nuthin' in a Taco diff that is even close to as strong as that RD90

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
Florida Swamp mud tears some sh*t up. We go on some rides around here when sometimes a full mile of the trail you don't see any dry land (I'm not a big fan of the water). That dirty water wears bearings and gets into places you'd never imagine it would.
I always keep an exta CV on hand for the occasions that I decide to bust one out on the trail.
If someone knows of a place that has lifetime warrantees I CVs, I'd like to know.
I have a lockrite up front. I know I haven't busted it yet because I have my CVs sacraficing themselves all the time.
It is not that I care to change the CVs out all the time (its easy), I'm just sick of spending money
well that explains it ;)
Lockrite + skinny = busted CVs any day in the week.
The 7.5 and OE CVs (or much else on a Taco) simply aren't designed for that kind of punishment so you'd better just get used to replacing parts.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
I got some of the first CV Unlimited axles out there. I busted both of em on my first trip out. They stood behind one of them.
Morale of the story, get an ample quantity of stockers and learn to swap them out until you finally get tired of the drill and cut the IFS off. If you don't bust em, just stay IFS because you don't wheel in stuff that needs SAS. What ever you do do, carry spares.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
I got some of the first CV Unlimited axles out there. I busted both of em on my first trip out. They stood behind one of them.
Morale of the story, get an ample quantity of stockers and learn to swap them out until you finally get tired of the drill and cut the IFS off. If you don't bust em, just stay IFS because you don't wheel in stuff that needs SAS. What ever you do do, carry spares.
If you hadn't installed that stupid Lockrite you wouldn't have busted them so quickly :p Hell, Todd ran his stock with a crawler for a year before his swap and never broke an axle.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
I hope I don't break mine!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts