TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever had experience with the STS Turbo system cause im thinking about getting one for my truck because it seems like it would be alot more power efficiant than a supercharger and would probably help my gas mileage on the freeway

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
02TacoRunner said:
Has anyone ever had experience with the STS Turbo system cause im thinking about getting one for my truck because it seems like it would be alot more power efficiant than a supercharger and would probably help my gas mileage on the freeway
:google: :newbie:

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
This thing has been beat to death, try searching.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
There was at least one guy who tried one but I think the end results were not what he wanted them to be.

The problem is that a huge hunk of the heat is gone by the time it hits the turbo. Most people seem to think from casual observation that a turbo runs on the pressure of the exhaust which isn't true, it runs on heat. Running on pressure would be a loosing proposition altogether because physics says you always get out less than you put in. If it were setup to run on pressure, all you would wind up doing is to create a huge back pressure and thus choke the engine.
If you do some reading on turbos and turbo engineering you will find that getting heat to the thing on the exhaust side is one of the major design goals.
I think the STS approach was mainly to try to get around the emissions thing to some extent while making it cheaper and easier to install at the same time. However they lost the thermodynamics game doing it that way because there was too much heat lost on the way to the turbo. Then again it was problematic for off road vehicle with all of that shit hanging down there waiting for a rock to rip it off.
Another consideration is where the power comes on from a turbo. It comes at the high RPM side while for most off roading you want it down low and right now. Essentially what you're after is immediate torque not necessarily horse power. Even with a centrifugal type supercharger, that is identified by the typical snail shape as a typical turbo is, not a positive displacement device like a roots pump, the power comes on at the high end.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
Dick Foster
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing