TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here.

Proud to say that I have had my 95.5 2.7L 4X4 for a little over 2 years and have finally had to come to the web for help.

So the problem is starts when the motor starts. The engine has started missing on a few cylinders here lately for the first 30 seconds of it running. So I figured fouled plug or what not. Unfortunately I went to start it today to drive it to my shop and tear into it and SURPRISE! the infamous white smoke and sweet smell of burning coolant. So I think to myself...Blown HG. But wait..there's more. No milkshake in the oil and I have NEVER noticed my truck getting hot or overheating. It does it pretty much every morning or if the truck sits a while (i.e. 8 hours at work) or just randomly throuout the day on weekends.
It actually did this the first winter I had the truck for about a week - every time i started the truck (especially in the mornings) but without the smoke issue. So I just ruled it out as bad gas and it went away.
But now...adding smoke and burning coolant to the equation is a whole 'nother math class.

Just curious if anyone here has had a similar problem. I did the search and came up with nothing. I'm thinking leaky intake or cracked head...something along those lines. Could be the head gasket, but I personally have not had a head gasket issue do this.

-Justin

·
Registered
114 Posts
The head gasket sealing ring(that's the metal portion that seals around block and head)could be blown,since that is very close to the water jackets,what you get is burning coolant in that cylinder. Because the cylinder pressure is higher, than the pressure in the coolant system.(say 14 p.s.i vs 150 p.s.i).Either way you will find out when you pull the head.:D

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,519 Posts
I'll make a guess at a cracked head. Mine cracked in 5 places after 230k miles. Never pulled in any coolant though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys. Oddly enough, I haven't hada single studder or hint of smoke since that once on Saturday. But something is definately wrong, I more than likely will pull the head reguardless. By the way GDOG57, love the VW's. I am a proud owner of a '71 Bus myself. Drive it almost every day at least once.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Sames thing happened to mine. Yes, unfortunently it was a cracked head. I had no water in oil, no over heating, but when I would start it it would stutter for a few seconds (until it blew the water out of the cylinder) then would run fine. I had the head welded, then remachineed it has been good for over 60,000 miles now.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. Oddly enough, I haven't hada single studder or hint of smoke since that once on Saturday. But something is definately wrong, I more than likely will pull the head reguardless. By the way GDOG57, love the VW's. I am a proud owner of a '71 Bus myself. Drive it almost every day at least once.
'71 last of the upright engine,first for power disc brakes,nice van.I have a '57 cal-look oval w/huge 2387cc motor that's a blast to drive.Yea if i had Jay Leno money i would have one of each.Check out www.thesamba.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts