TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stock radio in my 01 Tacoma with the CD/Tape player doesn't sound bad to me at all especially after I hold the button down and get that tone and then adjust the equalizer. The problem is I know nothing about radios , stereos or fancy speakers so this is my question to the guy's /gals who do know what there talking about:
Is it the radio quality or the speaker quality that really makes the difference? In other words could I just replace my speakers on my stock radio and get a better sound or do I have to spend big bucks for a fancy radio too? Thanks for any info you may share, Mike

·
Registered
422 Posts
replacing the speakers would make a big difference even if you stayed with the stock receiver. however, replacing both would make it sound even better

·
Registered
650 Posts
I'd still be running my stock head unit if it didn't break. For some reason, I was really happy with the sound... going into Boston Components and a Boston Sub (crossed over at the amp at 80hz). Even the installers were impressed with the sound. The really wide bass and treble controls were good enough to "set it and forget it"... which really made everything sound good. With my Pioneer (which I do really like), I often find myself having to tweak the sound each time a new album starts (love running the ipod direct).

Replace the speakers and rock out.

Brian

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
I definitely would not consider myself any type of expert!

But with that said I'll tell you what I did. (my speaker boxes were my ver first mod to my truck back in 1999)

I drove my truck with the stock head unit with 6x9 speakers for over a year. Then I replaced the wall speakers both in the door and walls. Ran that set up for another 3-4 years! Sounded fine to me, but I knew it was lacking in some areas.

I then received a Sirius satalite for Xmas last year, that was my "downfall" From there I decided to get even better sound. In the last three months I have replaced the 6x9's with a different brand (upgrade) installed an amp and at the same time replaced the head unit.

But here is the kicker. I didn't go crazy with the head unit. I just needed something I could throw a cd into and that would hold a station for my satalite radio. In other words in my set up, the head unit, much like a stock set up is not as important that the other components are.

I dont' even run a subwoofer, and I get complements all the time on my sound quality.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for all the info. Look's like I'm going to go with better speakers for now.Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
Mike-in-WV
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing