TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im starting the leaf pack rebuild and im upping it to some poly bushings... but i cant get the old front bushings out of the leaves. i tried burning them out ( thats how the rears came out.) but i cant get the fronts out to save my life. am i just not burning them enough or is there something else.... after about an hour of fawking with it i got pissed off and went inside.... but it has to get done eventually

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
Torch. More torch. More torch. Lots of torch. Then use some backyard method to cut out the metal sleeves. I used a sawzall. Careful not to cut the spring though.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GOT COPE? said:
Torch. More torch. More torch. Lots of torch. Then use some backyard method to cut out the metal sleeves. I used a sawzall. Careful not to cut the spring though.
dont they make some miracle grease??? lol

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
Not sure bout miracle grease :D but trust me those sleeves dont wanna come out and their isnt much room to get grease in there.

Installing brand new factory bushings after I got the old ones out was cake. Just a few whacks with the BFH and they slid in.

But back to getting the originals out, its insane. I burned mine until the rubber was bright orange then I just let them cook. Retorch as needed. The rubber expanding pushed out the bolt sleeve, then once burned completely and cooled I scraped the rubber out, then sawzall'd the outer sleeve. Miracle grease. No way. I dont see any other way to do it unless you have a 10 bajillaton press. Trust me I tried many methods but the one that worked was burning them out.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GOT COPE? said:
Not sure bout miracle grease :D but trust me those sleeves dont wanna come out and their isnt much room to get grease in there.

Installing brand new factory bushings after I got the old ones out was cake. Just a few whacks with the BFH and they slid in.

But back to getting the originals out, its insane. I burned mine until the rubber was bright orange then I just let them cook. Retorch as needed. The rubber expanding pushed out the bolt sleeve, then once burned completely and cooled I scraped the rubber out, then sawzall'd the outer sleeve. Miracle grease. No way. I dont see any other way to do it unless you have a 10 bajillaton press. Trust me I tried many methods but the one that worked was burning them out.

yeah the backs came out cake..... but the fronts i even tried to jack the spring up against the bottom of the camaro.... picked up the whole front end and it didn't even budge....

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
tacotoy said:
yeah the backs came out cake..... but the fronts i even tried to jack the spring up against the bottom of the camaro.... picked up the whole front end and it didn't even budge....
When ordering my OEM replacement bushings I noticed some trucks had different bushings front to back of the spring. Mine however were identical. I dont know exactly why but mine were both 1 piece yet some Tacos got 2 piece bushings in the rear and I recall thinkin those would be hell to remove. Actually the 2 piece came up on the catalog as the correct replacement for my 00 taco, yet I told the parts guy mine came with one piece and thats what I wanted even though the system showed the 2 piece as the correct part.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
pimptoy
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing