TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I grew up on a farm, we had a couple of trucks with manual locking hubs that we welded the front diffs (Spider crosses.) solid as hell. I do not know how they faired in the long run as both of them met early demises in totally unrelated manners. Would this be a viable alternative to a selectable locker on my truck? I know I would have to be careful as far as binding on solid ground. (My uncle just ran around with 1 hub locked in unless it got extremely sloppy, then he locked both when he was in one of the "welded" trucks in the fields.) Don't blast me please, just trying to figure out a few low budget things to help me get a little better grip in the soup.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
I wouldn't recommend welding a diff with CV axles. Go with an automatic locker (Aussie, Powertraxx, Lockrite, etc.) if you can't afford a selectable. I'm running an Aussie and love it.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Guess it depends on what conditions the truck sees... just mud, it would prob be OK, but anything with real traction and it's going to be bad. I've broken a hub and drove out with the front locker engaged and 1 hub unlocked - it pulls REALLY hard to one side.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. The trucks we had back home were constantly run throught the fields back home and A LOT of sloppy mixed clay/cow shit. Do the lockers on the market replace the entire center chunk or just the spiders? Just wondering. I have rebuilt enough diffs to sink a battleship, but never installed a locker.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
It replaces the spiders, not the whole diff.. I also have an Aussie in the front of mine and love it. We wheel basically the same terrain, that's what I'd do, put an Aussie locker in it. :2cents:

·
Registered
27 Posts
How much does an Aussie cost compared to a lock right, and are there any opinions on what is better? thanks

·
Administrator
18,267 Posts
Most people agree that welding the front diff is a bad idea. It leads to unmanagable steering problems while on the trail. If the left/right tires cant turn independantly to some degree, then you basically cant turn the vehicle. Weld the rear if you need to, but use some type of locker for the front.

·
Registered
183 Posts
as said...dont weld the front. I've driven a truck with a welded front, it was not fun to steer. It was a straight axle yota too, welding the front on an IFS truck would cost much more in new CVs and replacing the diff later than just doing it right the first time.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I talked to a guy at a local differential ship about lunchbox lockers and he said to avoid them. He said they weear and chunks of hardened steel get in the bearings and take them out. He said he had people come back with problems so he quit stocking them. Has anybody else experienced these problems? thanks

·
Administrator
18,267 Posts
jake7995 said:
I talked to a guy at a local differential ship about lunchbox lockers and he said to avoid them. He said they weear and chunks of hardened steel get in the bearings and take them out. He said he had people come back with problems so he quit stocking them. Has anybody else experienced these problems? thanks
Sounds like the shop wants to sell a full size locker like a detroit so they can make more money on the install. Those statements are totally unfounded and I've never heard of such an issue.

I've got a lunchbox locker in my truck. Its the Powertrax No-Slip locker. Installed it at 125k miles. I've got 270k on the truck now and the locker has worked perfectly the whole time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts