TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
an ex bf of mine that is a mechanic once told me that if u lift a truck it shortens the lifespan of the transmission, is this true?????

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
lifting anything will shorten lifespan of all parts, however done correctly you will never see any effect......

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
Toyotruksweetie said:
an ex bf of mine that is a mechanic once told me that if u lift a truck it shortens the lifespan of the transmission, is this true?????
The engineers that designed an built the truck never intended it to be modified or abused.

Many people hear things just like what your b/f told you and become afraid to do anything to their vehicle.

Relative to what I said about the engineers and the truck, lifting the truck, adding a locker or 2 (if its a non-TRD 4x4), larger tires, and extra weight (ie bumpers, winches, armor in general, and then all the supplies, spare parts and tools we carry, alone will affect wear and tear on the truck. Notice I said "affect" not "shorten".
That is because a vehicles life, and all its components, largely depend on maintenance. Any vehicle will live much too short of a life if not maintained properly.
The fact we heavily modify these trucks just means we have to be that much more meticulous about maintenance. Obviously on top of all of the modification we beat on our trucks pretty good. This, im my experience, has been the main accelerator of wear. If you stuck to the street with those mods and larger tires etc, you'd still want to be meticulous with the maintenance. But once off the pavement especially in the more "extreme" wheeling applications you will put a lot of stress on things like the steering rack and tie rod ends, ball joints, different bushings, the frame, things will just begin to wear faster.
The idea is to pay attention, keep an eye out, and inspect these items regularly. Thats the reason a lot of us prefer to work on our trucks ourselves. We intimately know our trucks and immediately notice when something is "out of whack".
As far as transmission, and the rest of the drivetrain, they are gonna hold up fine. Yes they will wear faster, but like a previous post stated the difference is minimal. Ive beat my truck regularly since I got it brand new in 2000 and have had no drivetrain issues at all.
Now as far as the previous items I stated that you'll want to keep an eye on, Ill list what Ive had to replace that I know died an early death due to what Ive put my truck through. Typically these items shouldnt wear out for at least 100,000 miles for a Toyota driven by the typical soccer mom.

Driveshaft center bearing ($80) aka carrier bearing

Inner and outer axle seals - came with gear install kit and however not worn out or broken, its recommended to replace them during a gear install since its convenient to do during a gear install.

tranny and tcase shifter boots, tranny shifter seat, tranny shifter socket
also had to reseal the shifter plates on both the tranny and tcase shifter plate bolts had all back out half way from the bouncing and vibration from wheeling allowing the oil to leak out the top.
The parts were 3-5 bucks a piece prob spent $20 total on both boots, the socket and the seat.

Steering rack ($399) yay :( Perfectly normal though for a Tacoma thats wheeled.

Inner tie rod ends $40 non-OEM replacements

Fuel (30k) and air filters (12k) unless you have a K&N type filter, diff-tranny-and tcase oil (30k) will all need to be changed at the listed intervals, and sometimes much sooner if contaminates breach the drivetrain such as water and mud.
Everyone who owns a vehicle knows to change the engine oil every 3-5k miles, yet your typical car owner will probably never change the diff-tranny-and tcase oil. This is one thing we absolutely need to keep up with as we expose our trucks to mud and water and just plain heavy stress frequently.

Ill stop my post there as to not be too long-winded, but that should give you the idea. A car driven on the street was designed for just that and designed to do it for 100,000+ miles. Our trucks see unusually heavy stress and useage thus we must be more strict in keeping up with maintenance. Plus we like to keep our trucks and put a few hundred thousand miles on'em. Its just a testament, all the trucks just within this forum that are wheeled hard and beaten daily and still have 100, 200, and even 300k plus miles on them. There are a few over 200 and 300k with all original drivetrains.
So its not like everyone that wheels has the tranny fall out on the ground screaming bloody murder. Its just a little increase in maintenance.

And usually by the time you start breaking expensive parts, you know where to buy, where to get a good price, and how to do it yourself or with the help of few friends. And at that point all it takes a paycheck or five :D (for some of us at least) and a weekend of pizza and beer and buddies to swap in the rebuilt engine or tranny or whatever needs fixin'. Its all fun all worth the trouble. To me anyway.

·
Administrator
18,217 Posts
Toyotruksweetie said:
You can lift it all you want, but the bigger tires are really what shorten the life of the transmission, primarily an auto. Thats why its best to re-gear the axles to match the change in tire size.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
X2 what Tyler said... (er.. Showstop)

That plus neglect and abuse... compound the whole deal...

I'm only replying cause it's a girl... :p

toyotruksweetie
Now that he's yer ex... you can look for another who isn't so afraid to do a little moddin' and wheelin'... plus you can learn along the way... That way when he annoys you... can dump his butt too... if need be... and gain all the know how you need... to do yer own thing... :D

Now go get that truck dirty... ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx for ans. my stupid question..

Thank you to TacoDell, Showstop, my2coma, Got Cope?, Jimbo74 for not being "hostile natives". I knew he was full of shit..lol :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
Toyotruksweetie
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing